Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net> on 2002/03/12 23:29:28 UTC

dumb questions on a couple of the current 2.0 showstoppers

1)  * If any request gets to the core handler, without a flag that this
      r->filename was tested by dir/file_walk, we need to 500 at the very
      end of the ap_process_request_internal() processing.  This provides
      authors of older modules better compatibility, while still improving
      the security and robustness of 2.0.

    True or false: This refers to an issue where some broken module
                   causes the core dir walk to be skipped yet the
                   request gets to default handler.

    If true: Why is this a showstopper?  Broken modules cause all sorts
             of problems.  If this actually needs to be fixed, it can
             be fixed at any time.

    Either way: Any feedback on the comments that JimJag and I put in
                the STATUS file?

                Is this issue any more complicated than setting a flag
                in the last several "return OK" paths in
                ap_directory_walk() and in default_handler() to return
                HTTP_FORBIDDEN if the flag isn't set?

2)  * API changes planned for 2.0 that should happen before the
      GA release:
          * Free lists for bucket allocation
          * Pool allocator change

    Can anybody comment on the current status of either of these?  Is
    there work available for the masses to do?  Can we get the API
    changes committed Real Soon Now even if the new behavior isn't yet
    ready?

Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

RE: dumb questions on a couple of the current 2.0 showstoppers

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Changes.  I'm still not sold on the way to handle the allocator ownership.
And allocator locking.

I posted them to the list aswell, btw.

>> If not, please go ahead and commit.

If noone else sees problems with it (other than the docstrings missing
from the apr_allocator.h file), I'll commit it in the morning (GMT +1
morning that is).

>> The bucket freelist change was kind of waiting on the pool allocator
>> change, but the API change part can go ahead and get committed as is
>> without the pool change--it would just be a wrapper around malloc until
>> the pool change is done, at which point the freelist allocator can be
>> dropped in.

Cool.

>> When I get back to Charlottesville on Thursday I'll finish up and commit
>> whatever part of the buckets change I can depending on the pool patch
>> status.
>
> Dang, that's exactly what I wanted to hear :)

:)

Sander

Re: dumb questions on a couple of the current 2.0 showstoppers

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.

Posted by Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>.
Paul J. Reder wrote:

> Cliff,
>
> I know you are busy, is there something I can do to help with this
> since the pools stuff is in now? Does it still just need to have
> the malloc replaced and the code tested?
>
> I'm happy to help in any way possible.

Me too.  Cliff, what's your recommendation on how/when/if
we can help get the bucket free lists into the code base?

Thanks,
--Brian

Re: dumb questions on a couple of the current 2.0 showstoppers

Posted by "Paul J. Reder" <re...@remulak.net>.
Cliff,

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein

Re: dumb questions on a couple of the current 2.0 showstoppers

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.