Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ian Hunter <ih...@hunterweb.net> on 2006/05/23 22:23:48 UTC

Disable KeepAlive on AJP connector?

I have an application that queries Tomcat quite frequently (more than once
a minute) for status updates.  I also have a potentially high number of
clients -- more that the number of threads configured for connectors.
Also, I'm using port 8009 for an AJP connector from Apache.

OK, that's all fine, here's my problem:  the clients are all requesting
keepalives, and if there are more clients than threads, that's very bad.
I need to totally disable keepalives, but I cannot figure out how to
disable keepalives for the AJP connector.  There's nothing in server.xml,
and I've tried KeepAlive Off in httpd.conf s well as
Jkworker.property.appname.KeepAlive Off.

Help?!?!

Re: Disable KeepAlive on AJP connector?

Posted by Ian Hunter <ih...@hunterweb.net>.
On Tue, May 23, 2006 23:04, Bill Barker wrote:
> The traditional way to handle this is to set connectionTimeout="300000"
> (the
> actual value will vary depending on your system :).  This will recycle the
> thread if no Apache child talks to it for 5min.

That got me closer.  Now I don't see any connections older than what I set
the connectionTimeout value for.  We'll see what happens in production, if
this helps or not.

> Usually a better solution with 5.5.x is to use the APR or NIO AJP
> Connector.
> These allows for Tomcat to maintain the Socket connection to a large
> number
> of Apache children, without committing Threads to them until it actually
> recieves a request.

That's a thought too.

Thanks!

Re: Disable KeepAlive on AJP connector?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by randy repasa <ra...@gmail.com>.
I must have misunderstood his question. Was he asking how to disable
keepalives for the AJP connector, or was he asking how to disable http
keep-alive?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by randy repasa <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,