Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jesse Keller <je...@aya.yale.edu> on 2003/04/08 18:20:16 UTC

Re: Basic JNDI setup problems - "Cannot load JDBC driver class'null'"

Thanks, Paul. In my non-dbcp test servlet, I use

        Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver").newInstance();

with good results, so I don't think that's the problem. Is it possible that
because it's a Windows system, the slashes in the path are confusing Tomcat?

C:\> echo %CATALINA_HOME%

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1

C:\> cd %CATALINA_HOME%/common/lib

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1>   -- windows doesn't see the
slashed path

C:\>dir "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\common\lib\mysql*"

 Directory of C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\common\lib

02/17/2003  12:17p             211,470
mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-stable-bin.jar

Posted by Jesse Keller <je...@aya.yale.edu>.
yeah, I've got
c:\tomcat\common\lib\mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-stable-bin.jar

I'll try the debug setting, and see what that tells me. The weird thing is
that I know the driver is there, and that it works, because I can use it
just fine when I don't try to do dbcp:

Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver").newInstance();
conn = DriverManager.getConnection(DBUrl,"root","newpass");
stmt = conn.createStatement();
ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery(stringSQL);

Question is, what's different about calling getConnection() this way instead
of the other way?

Posted by paul niemandt <ma...@acesurfer.co.za>.

Posted by paul niemandt <ma...@acesurfer.co.za>.

Posted by Jesse Keller <je...@aya.yale.edu>.
Thanks for the suggestion, John.

Moved %CATALINA_HOME% to c:\tomcat, so there are no spaces in the paths
anymore. Restarted everything. Non-pooled access still works fine, pooled
access still throws "Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null' ".

Got another suggestion? There must be something simple and obvious I'm
overlooking -- how hard can this be?

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.