Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kosmaj <ko...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/20 07:01:49 UTC

How to check message size?

I'm using JSpamAssassin, a pop3 proxy in Java
(Win-2k/Outlook Express)
and I have a problem that long messages (more than 1M bytes)
are coming truncated. I think it's related to the 20sec time-out
which is hard coded in Java. I have a fast Internet connection,
at least 5Mbit/sec, but most likely it takes time to apply all
SP rules to such a long message.
I'm planning to change the Java code but right now I don't
have enough time and instead I'd like to add a rule which
will give minus 10 points to massages longer than a certain
threshold. How can I do that?

Thanks a lot,
Kosmaj

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How to check message size?

Posted by Duncan Hill <sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk>.
On Wednesday 20 December 2006 06:11, Kosmaj wrote:
> Forgive me for spamming the list, but I just realized
> that if I just score -10 to long messages, SP will keep on
> applying other rules, and it will take long time again.
> Therefore, what I need is a rule which will score -10 points
> and tell SP to stop processing of all other rules.

The standard answer is don't scan mail that large if you don't expect it to be
spammy.  Saves the entire overhead of running a pile of code against a mail
that doesn't need to be scanned.

Re: How to check message size?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Kosmaj wrote:
> Forgive me for spamming the list, but I just realized
> that if I just score -10 to long messages, SP will keep on
> applying other rules, and it will take long time again.
> Therefore, what I need is a rule which will score -10 points
> and tell SP to stop processing of all other rules.

Rather than using a rule for this, spamc has a built-in feature to
bypass scanning of large messages. It defaults to 250k, but you can
change it with the -s parameter to spamc.

If you're interested in speed, you probably should be using the
spamc/spamd pair instead of the "spamassassin" script to invoke
SpamAssassin anyway.

Re: How to check message size?

Posted by Kosmaj <ko...@yahoo.com>.
Forgive me for spamming the list, but I just realized
that if I just score -10 to long messages, SP will keep on
applying other rules, and it will take long time again.
Therefore, what I need is a rule which will score -10 points
and tell SP to stop processing of all other rules.

Thanks,
Kosmaj

http://mail.yahoo.com