Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Joe Kumar <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/04 04:45:49 UTC

Re: SVM implementation for Mahout

I just got back from Vikas reg svmlin and he is ok to use apache 2.0
license.

That aside, I thought of sharing some of my perspectives.
SVM is one of the widely used classification algorithms and I guess it is
better to have our own implementation. We could reuse existing libraries for
non-core algorithms or components. Assuming that SVM on Mahout would be
quite widely used, would it be better to write our own ?

Posted by Joe Kumar <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ted,
Thanks for your feedback and thoughts. those f/b make sense.

Isabel,
I havent specifically probed Vikas about joining Mahout but he is very much
willing to help us out in any way he can. I'll probably check if he would be
interested in joining Mahout. It sure would be good to have him on the team.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I think that the primary criterion is that we want to provide capabilities
for users of Mahout.  Providing an SVM implementation would be the first
priority, regardless of source (presuming licensing and such is handled
correctly).

That said, the rub is likely to come when a scalable implementation is to be
produced.  SVM isn't nearly as simple to parallelize as some other
algorithms so it may well become necessary to make some pretty substantial
modifications.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve