Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Brian Bonner <br...@paraware.com> on 2005/10/18 22:02:54 UTC

Outstanding questions (Documentation)

I'm looking for documentation about:

1.  Reactor (I'd like to understand more about the inner workings of Maven)
2.  Tags available when making a plugin, what properties are available
to me.
3.  Are the packaging elements a finite set?  pom, war, ejb, ear, jar
Or are there others?  Are they described anywhere?  The gist seems to me
that they are the deliverable of a project.
4.  Profiles  (what they're used for, how they might help me)  I think I
got enough from:  http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Build+Profiles
Please let me know if this was the correct place :)

--
Brian

Re: *** Spam *** Re: Outstanding questions (Documentation)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
That, the LifecycleExecutor and the ProjectSorter are probably the
things you are interested in WRT the reactor.

- Brett

Posted by Brian Bonner <br...@paraware.com>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 16:02 -0400, Brian Bonner wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for documentation about:
>>
>> 1.  Reactor (I'd like to understand more about the inner workings of Maven)
>>

> Sure, that level of documentation is coming but for the release the
> general user base was the priority.

Can you point to me the reactor in svn?  I only found the ReactorManager

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 16:02 -0400, Brian Bonner wrote:
> I'm looking for documentation about:
>
> 1.  Reactor (I'd like to understand more about the inner workings of Maven)

Sure, that level of documentation is coming but for the release the
general user base was the priority.

> 2.  Tags available when making a plugin, what properties are available
> to me.

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/components/trunk/maven-
core/src/main/resources/META-INF/maven/plugin-expressions/

This is what we use internally and we will eventually generate doco for
it. But you can see what you can use in plug-ins. The rootless and
settings files in particular.

> 3.  Are the packaging elements a finite set?  pom, war, ejb, ear, jar
> Or are there others?  Are they described anywhere?  The gist seems to me
> that they are the deliverable of a project.

They are not finite, they are pluggable but we ship with a default set.

But you're right some more documentation here would be good. Noted.

> 4.  Profiles  (what they're used for, how they might help me)  I think I
> got enough from:  http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Build+Profiles
> Please let me know if this was the correct place :)

http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.