Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Venkat Hadoop <ve...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/16 08:20:30 UTC

Running zookeeper and name node on same box

Hi all,

We have 48gb nn machine for our cluster.  It isn't very heavily used.  Projected mem  is less than 20%  We now plan to have 3 zookeeper servers.  Is it advisable to run zk process along here name node process for production?

What factors do I need to look into to decide if this an option for us?

Thanks.
VV

Re: Running zookeeper and name node on same box

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
you can run a ZK server on the NN; it's not usually that memory or CPU
hungry.

Why not start out with it on, and if you do find problems over time, move
it away

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Venkat,

If i understood it properly then you are trying to run 3 zookeeper and NN
service on one machine. Right? If yes, then one of the major problem is
that if unfortunately this machine crashes then you will lose the
zookeepers and as a result you cluster will go down. Usually, its
recommended to run zookeeper on different machines to avoid cluster
failures.

~Anil

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: Running zookeeper and name node on same box

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Venkat,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: Running zookeeper and name node on same box

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Venkat,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: Running zookeeper and name node on same box

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Venkat,

--
Thanks & Regards,