Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jonathan Rich <jd...@acsu.buffalo.edu> on 2004/10/09 05:15:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Getting apache to serve pages through a router.

I'm having trouble getting Apache to serve pages to the internet.

My IP address is 69.161.99.220, my router's IP is 192.168.1.1, and my
server's IP address is 192.168.1.142.

I can telnet and ssh into the server from the internet, as well as from
my intranet. I _can_ actually view the web pages from the intranet, but
any time I try from the internet the connection times out.

Using tcpdump shows that the requests do get to the server, and there
are no Apache logs for the connections. At first I thought it was
because I was screwing around with hts (httptunnel) on port 80, but I
rebooted the server just to be sure. I haven't set up DNS at all for
the server.

httpd.conf:

The Listen line for the IP is commented out, Listen is on port 80. I
have tried this on the internet IP, the intranet IP, the router IP, and
commented. No help.

Kill or be killing; faster sins correct the flow.

Re: [users@httpd] Getting apache to serve pages through a router.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Jonathan Rich wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting Apache to serve pages to the internet.

That's a networking problem.  Apache neither knows nor cares about being
on a NAT address behind a router.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Getting apache to serve pages through a router.

Posted by Jeff <jd...@azimapower.com>.
Larry Rappaport wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:15:14 -0400, you wrote (with possible editing):
>

>>I'm having trouble getting Apache to serve pages to the internet.
>>
>>My IP address is 69.161.99.220, my router's IP is 192.168.1.1, and my
>>server's IP address is 192.168.1.142.

Hi.  I missed the first message so pardon if i missed the point, but to
get these pages to be shown by apache, you'll have to have a port
forward through the router to the machine that apache is running on.
and then you'll need to set up any virtual hosts to accept requests on
that port like...
<VirtualHost *:80>
or just set them up as the domain name registered on the internet or the
external IP of the router

<VirtualHost www.domainname.tld>

with just about any router there is a NAT or Port Forward section where
you can set this up.

if you are just using the main server section with no virtuals, just
make sure apache is listening to the same port as is being forwarded
through your router.

if i missed the ball, send me the original post....as this is a pretty
common issue, and there was actually a discussion just last week about
this, so you could find it in the archives.

HTH
Jeff

Posted by Larry Rappaport <ra...@lmr.com>.