Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean <ja...@wideasleep.com> on 2000/12/10 18:20:26 UTC

3.X and 4.X Information

Developers or other users ...

I was wondering if anyone knew of any benchmarks that compare Tomcats performance to other JSP Containers?  I was also wondering if there were any Benchmark goals for each release or is the only goal of Tomcat to create a reference implementation?  I know that Apache is pretty much the defacto webserver (within reason) in reguard to speed at most organizations.  Is the goal of Tomcat to be the defacto JSP Container and Servlet Runner or to be the standard reference implementation on which others are measured?  I would think the ultimate goal is both but I don't see that outlined as a "specific" goal on any of the sites ... they seem to only highlight it as the reference implementation.

Also ... is there a design documentation repository somewhere that I can look at to see the overall design and architecture of the 3.X and 4.X product line?

I am interested in helping the development of Tomcat but I want to get my head wrapped around the 1.1 and 1.2 specification as well as the current Jakarta subprojects.  I appreciate the help with these questions and look forward to helping out in the future ....

Thanks again ...

Sean

Re: 3.X and 4.X Information

Posted by Sean Kroah <se...@wirex.com>.
I've not seen any design docs on the site anywhere, so I just downloaded
www.togetherj.com, the free whiteboard edition and imported the tomcat
source. This gave me some
useful UML diagrams.  Good luck.

Sean Kroah

--
Sean Kroah                                T:503.222.9660
                                          F:503.241.5682

Re: 3.X and 4.X Information

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.
http://www.orionserver.com/ has benchmarks for JSP showing Tomcat
3.1 to be spectacularly slower than the Orion and Resin servers.

You will also appreciate the benchmarks showning how much faster
JSP is than ASP as implemented on Microsoft's IIS

--
WBB - wbrogden@lanw.com
Java Cert mock exams http://www.lanw.com/java/javacert/