Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Patrick Calahan <pc...@bea.com> on 2004/03/27 04:28:29 UTC

JAM: Java API for Metadata

Hello everyone.  I am a committer on Xml-Beans, a project currently in the
Apache Incubator.  As part of my work there, I have developed an API for
representing Java types and their associated metadata which I believe would
be of general use to the community.

The API is called 'JAM' - the Java API for Metadata.  On the surface, it
looks quite a bit like Reflection or the Doclet API, but it affords a
greater level of flexibility and convenience, and in particular provides
solutions for a number of thorny problems posed by JSR175.

I have had a few discussions with some folks on
general@incubator.apache.org about possibly spinning JAM up as an
independent project from xbeans.  It was suggested that it would be useful
to test the waters in some other projects such as Avalon to see if JAM
would indeed be generally useful.  So, here I am testing. :)

Anyway, if you want more gory details, I have temporarily posted some white
papers and the API docs here:

http://www.pcal.net/jam

Any feedback is more than welcome.

Thanks,