Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io> on 2016/03/17 23:24:57 UTC

Hyphens in Region names

I just discovered a problem with the use of a hyphen in Region names.
It conflicts with something in the export mechanism in Geode:

>From page 281 of the 8.2 users guide:

"Exporting Cache Snapshots
When you export an entire cache, it exports all regions in the cache as
individual snapshot files into a directory. If no directory is specified,
the default is the current directory. A snapshot file is created for each
region, and the export operation automatically names each snapshot filename
using the following convention: snapshot-[-]* When the export operation
writes the snapshot filename, it replaces each forward slash ('/') in the
region path with a dash ('-')."

--
Mike Stolz
Principal Engineer, GemFire Product Manager

Re: Hyphens in Region names

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.
If the filename isn't used then it shouldn't be a problem.
I just stumbled over that in the user's guide and thought we should check
before we actually formally ALLOW hyphens as has been requested.

Re: Hyphens in Region names

Posted by Jens Deppe <je...@apache.org>.
Mike,

Re: Hyphens in Region names

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
Is that necessarily a problem? Looking at the code, I don't think it will
cause any issues with the import - importing into the cache reads the
region name from the data itself.

-Dan