Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by greenone <lu...@gramberg-webdesign.de> on 2007/09/24 22:26:16 UTC

is this a bug? trying to avoid beeing marked as spam

Hi there,

i'm programming a website backend and it is sending emails to confirm
registrations, password-recovs and other functions (no spam of course).

My mail still gets hit with Spam-scores and i don't know what to do at this
point, maybe you do.

	pts rule name              description
	---- ----------------------
	0.1 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no
rDNS
	0.8 ZMIvirSobY_SUB33       SPAM from Sober-Y-Virus
	1.5 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28     BODY: HTML: images with 2400-2800 bytes of words

first of all: it is absolutly impossible that the email contains a virus. it
is send via php from a 1&1 shared webhosting server.

because of the image scores most with its 1.5 points i reduced the image
size to 1358 bytes but it still says it is to big (if its that what the rule
means).

so what can i do? i'ld really prefer the companies mail not be marked as
spam. most users wont check their spam-folders and then chaos will be
perfect.

i allready changed from base64 to quoted printable encoding, also the
html-text matches exactly the plain text part. the image contained in the
email shows the companies logo, nothing else. it is embeded remotely via
https.

The Complete Email: (sensitive data = *****)

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:50:39 +0200
To: *****
Subject: Ihr Passwort, *****.com
From:no-reply@*****.com

This is a MIME encoded message.

--SJSDHD9348934--KJSFKJ398453897348---7834SJFS--DJNS

... the plain text part ....

--SJSDHD9348934--KJSFKJ398453897348---7834SJFS--DJNS

... the html part ...

Re: is this a bug? trying to avoid beeing marked as spam

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> one thing though... the html part of the email contains only one image,
> and
> that image is -as i mentioned- only around 1300 bytes and its also just
> 250px of width so this can't be right or is it?
>
>>> 1.5 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28     BODY: HTML: images with 2400-2800 bytes of
>>> words

All this rule says is that there is an HTML image and the message body is
between 2400 and 2800 bytes long.  It doesn't say how big the image is or
even if there is only one image.  This is a relatively short message, and
from the score on that rule (and personal experience) this falls into a
range that is rather commonly ham.

You could avoid that rule by having a larger message body of text.  However,
I don't know that there is any need for that, unless the 1.5 points really
bothers you.

            Loren

Re: is this a bug? trying to avoid beeing marked as spam

Posted by greenone <lu...@gramberg-webdesign.de>.
thank you for the info

one thing though... the html part of the email contains only one image, and
that image is -as i mentioned- only around 1300 bytes and its also just
250px of width so this can't be right or is it?

Regards
Ludwig

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Skip <sb...@dmp.com>.
>	0.8 ZMIvirSobY_SUB33       SPAM from Sober-Y-Virus

This score has nothing to do with detecting or not detecting a virus in the
message.  It is detecting specific text: "Ihr Passwort"   and it is likely
specific to the test message you are using.  I can't speak to why the other
rule is getting hit.

- Skip