Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Andrew Jorgensen <an...@andrewjorgensen.com> on 2017/05/16 14:07:30 UTC

Re: Non-zero nodes are marked as down after restarting cassandra process

Thanks for the info!

When you say "overall stability problems due to some bugs", can you
elaborate on if those were bugs in cassandra that were fixed due to an
upgrade or bugs in your own code and how you used cassandra. If the latter
would  it be possible to highlight what the most impactful fix was from the
usage side.

As far as I can tell there are no dropped messages, there are some pending
Compactions and a few Native-Transport_Request in the all time blocked
column.

Thanks!

Andrew Jorgensen
@ajorgensen

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@apache.org>.

On 2017-05-16 07:07 (-0700), Andrew Jorgensen <an...@andrewjorgensen.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info!
>
> When you say "overall stability problems due to some bugs", can you
> elaborate on if those were bugs in cassandra that were fixed due to an
> upgrade or bugs in your own code and how you used cassandra. If the latter
> would  it be possible to highlight what the most impactful fix was from the
> usage side.

For what it's worth, there have been HUNDREDS of bugs fixed in 3.0 since your 3.0.3 release, many of which are fairly important - while it's unlikely to fix the behavior you describe, upgrading to latest 3.0 is probably a good idea.

Anecdotally, the behavior you describe is similar to a condition I saw once at a previous employer on a very different (much older) version of cassandra, and it was accompanied by a few thousand bytes in a tcp send queue that lasted long after I'd have expected it to be closed. Never really investigated, but if you see it happen again, capturing the output of 'netstat -n' and 'lsof' on the servers involved would help understand what's going on (open a jira, upload the output).