Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Ergin Ozekes <er...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/20 22:55:48 UTC

kernel parameter values for 10g nic

Hi all;

I've installed Apache traffic v.5.2.x server on debian wheezy with kernel
version 3.13.10. My server configuration is hp dlg580g7 120 GB ram, 1.2 TB
sas 10K disk, 40 cores. Some times some of the packets on network receive
queue drops under the 2gbps network bandwidth. For example, 100 packet in
hour.
What is the best kernel parameters to solve this issue?

We collect apache traffic server statistics by using
http://server:8080/_stats call from log server. We can not continuously
collect these statistics in every 5 sec.
Which method is the best for collecting statistic ?

Is the collectd plugin for apache traffic server exist?

Best Regards!
Ergin Ozekes

Re: kernel parameter values for 10g nic

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.
> On Oct 20, 2014, at 1:55 PM, Ergin Ozekes <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all;
>
> I've installed Apache traffic v.5.2.x server on debian wheezy with kernel
> version 3.13.10. My server configuration is hp dlg580g7 120 GB ram, 1.2 TB
> sas 10K disk, 40 cores. Some times some of the packets on network receive
> queue drops under the 2gbps network bandwidth. For example, 100 packet in
> hour.
> What is the best kernel parameters to solve this issue?

I think the main network interface tuning is to bump up the RX and TX ring buffers. You can see these values using "ethtool -g". If the buffers are too low you will see Traffic Server generating a log of EAGAIN errors on the write system call (usin strace).

> We collect apache traffic server statistics by using
> http://server:8080/_stats call from log server. We can not continuously
> collect these statistics in every 5 sec.
> Which method is the best for collecting statistic ?
>
> Is the collectd plugin for apache traffic server exist?

I'm not sure, but it should be easy to write using the TSRecordDump API.