Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by dsy99 <ds...@rediffmail.com> on 2012/01/04 18:27:17 UTC

How to index documents in SOLR running in Window XP envronment

Dear all,
I am facing problem to index data to SOLR running in window XP environment.
Can any one suggest the method similar to "curl" used in Unix environment?

Thank you in advance.

Divakar Yadav

How to index documents in SOLR running in Window XP envronment

Posted by Dan McGinn-Combs <dg...@gmail.com>.
Look in the Example directory for a POST.SH and POST.JAR. These could be
used to do the job on Windows. But to be honest, I didn't have any problems
using CURL on Windows. You just have to be careful to double quote rather r

On Thursday, January 5, 2012, dsy99 <ds...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Gora and all,
> Thank you very much for replying.
> My question is how to index documents (.XML, .pdf, .doc files) in Solr. I
> was trying using curl but it is not working in Windows XP environment. Do
> any one of you have any ready made program/DIH which I can use to index
> these types of files.
>
> Regds:
> Divakar

Dan McGinn-Combs
dgcombs@gmail.com
Google Voice: +1 404 492 7532
Peachtree City, Georgia USA

Re: How to index documents in SOLR running in Window XP envronment

Posted by Dan McGinn-Combs <dg...@gmail.com>.
 Look in the Example directory for a POST.SH and POST.JAR. These could be
used to do the job on Windows. But to be honest, I didn't have any problems
using CURL on Windows. You just have to be careful to double quote rather
than single quote and use the right kind of slashes for directories.

Dan

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM, dsy99 <ds...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am facing problem to index data to SOLR running in window XP environment.
> Can any one suggest the method similar to "curl" used in Unix environment?

I am sorry, but the above makes little sense, and gives people no basis to
reply to your message. What are you trying to index, and how? Individual
files, by using DIH, or what? You might wish to describe what you would
like to achieve.

I am not a Windows user, but I understand that curl is also available
for that antiquated platform. Please try searching Google to find it.

in formulating questions.

Regards,
Gora

RE: How to index documents in SOLR running in Window XP envronment

Posted by "Dyer, James" <Ja...@ingrambook.com>.
Just be sure to download the correct binary for your version of Windows.  Then unzip the file somewhere and add "curl.exe" to your PATH.  It should then just work from the command line like the examples.  If you need more curl help, you might need to ask elsewhere.

With curl you can upload simple .xml files to solr ... See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateXmlMessages .  For other xml formats or different file types (you had mentioned .pdf and .doc), see the instructions at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ExtractingRequestHandler .

Keep in mind that for a lot of uses, curl is a good solution only for rapid development but other solutions (DIH or SolrJ) will be better for the long haul.

James Dyer
E-Commerce Systems
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311

Can you please list the steps to be followed to execute curl for indexing
files in SOLR, after downloading it from the site
"http://curl.haxx.se/download.html".
After downloading the it, from the link provided I am unable to proceed
further.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regds:
Divakar

RE: How to index documents in SOLR running in Window XP envronment

Posted by "Dyer, James" <Ja...@ingrambook.com>.
I've successfully used the windows distribution of curl from http://curl.haxx.se/download.html for this purpose.  This at least works when you put your xml in a text file and then use "curl http://host:port/solr/update -F stream.file=c:\filename.xml"  I do not think I was ever able to get "-F solr.body=" or "-F stream.body=" to work.  Good luck.

James Dyer
E-Commerce Systems
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311

Posted by "Sethi, Parampreet" <pa...@teamaol.com>.
Hi Divakar,

If you need to do simple Solr document indexing and know java, You can
write a java file along with data bean and use Solrj client for indexing.

Here's one simple tutorial:
http://www.params.me/2011/09/solrj-code-and-usage-example.html

Please provide more details on what you are trying to achieve.

-param