Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by kant kodali <ka...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/16 09:06:31 UTC

is anyone able to create 1M or 10M or 100M or 1B partitions in a topic?

Hi All,

1. I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard or able to create 1M or 10M
or 100M or 1B partitions in a topic? I understand lot of this depends on
filesystem limitations (we are using ext4) and the OS limitations but I
just would like to know what is the scale one had seen in production?
2. Is it advisable?

Thanks!

Re: is anyone able to create 1M or 10M or 100M or 1B partitions in a topic?

Posted by Ofir Manor <of...@equalum.io>.
Each partition is a directory, whose name is topicName-partitionNumber
In each directory, there are likely many files, based on how you configure
the Kafka log rotation and retention (check log.roll.* parameters, for
starter), plus some internal files (indexing etc)
You can easily try it out yourself - create a topic with some partitions,
send some data and observe the log dir(s) (based on log.dir or log.dirs in
the broker config)

Ofir Manor

Co-Founder & CTO | Equalum

Mobile: +972-54-7801286 | Email: ofir.manor@equalum.io