Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Farzad Valad <ho...@farzad.net> on 2011/07/13 16:41:04 UTC

MCF setup in Eclipse

So what is the verdict on the eclipse setup?  Maybe we can work through
one example, like running the agent from eclipse, so I can fine tune the
setup procedure.  I figured out how to link the sources into the eclipse
project without manual copying. You need two things, 1) check out the
existing lcf project source into eclipse as lcf, 2) the eclipse
projects: mcflib-core, mcflib-3rd, mcfAgentStart, and mcfAgentStop
(Apache mail server has a 1MB limit, download from
http://www.farzad.net/apache/MCFAgentEclipseProjects.zip)

For the first item, using Eclipse checkout the source path lcf from
apache repository.  You'll need to install the SVN plugin for Eclipse if
you don't have it.  For the second item, extract the zip file into a
temp location. Import the 4 projects into eclipse by
File->Import->select "Existing Projects into Workspace", then point to
one of the folders.  Would need to do this four times.  Inside Eclipse,
the start and stop projects would have a red exclamation mark, because
the core libs are missing intentionally.  Expand the mcflib-core project
and run the "build.xml" file.  Refresh the projects and you should not
see any errors.

Run the mcfAgentStart project as a Java Application and include the VM
parameter of -Dorg.apache.manifoldcf.configfile=properties.xml.  If
succesful, you'd see the message "Running... " and "Configuration file
successfully read".  To stop the agent, run the mcfAgentStop project as
a Java Application and include the same VM parm.  You can debug and set
break points by running the debugger in eclipse against the same two
projects.

Assuming all went well, that is what it takes to run the agent.  Thoughts?

Re: MCF setup in Eclipse

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Ok- It seems like a good way forward is to assume usage of the maven
plugin within Eclipse.  I think this is a reasonable way to do it and
will also keep us honest about being maven-agnostic.  I entered a
comment accordingly in the ticket.

Karl

Re: MCF setup in Eclipse

Posted by Farzad Valad <ho...@farzad.net>.