Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Leandro Lucarella <ll...@mecon.gov.ar> on 2002/09/11 18:14:47 UTC

SVN log character encoding.

Hi! I'm using svn and I'm a spanish speaker. I've noticed that when I
put "extended" characters in muy commit messages, they are not stored in
the right way (or not diplayed well with svn log). I'm using ISO-8859-1
(editing with vim the messages) and tried UTF8 without success.
What encoding is svn using? How can I make my "extendended" characters
(á,é,í,ó,ú,ü,ñ,etc) stored (or displayed) in the right way?

(please Cc me since I'm not subscribed to the list).

--
Leandro Lucarella @ MEcon                       .-----------------------------.
                                               /  Powered by Debian GNU/Linux |

Re: SVN log character encoding.

Posted by Leandro Lucarella <ll...@mecon.gov.ar>.

Re: changing revision props (was: SVN log character encoding.)

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> However, I *do* worry about enabling that as a remote operation. What hooks
> get run? How is authorization performed? Is logging possible?
>
> Effectively, the operation is lossy -- you lose the previous property value.
> Lossy operations via the network just feels shaky to me. I like the implicit
> requirement that you have shell access (in order to run svnadmin) to change
> any revision properties.

At least for the specific case of the `svn:log-message' revision
property, I think we really need to allow the client to change it.
Fixing up log messages is very common.  CVS allows it from the client
side, and people use the functionality.  Let's face it, virtually
every SVN site is going to install tweak-log.cgi or something similar,
which effectively means you don't need shell access :-).  Since
everyone's going to do it, we might as well make it easy.

Authorization is done as usual for committers.

The new hooks pre_revision_prop and post_revision_prop are run (or
whatever their names are, you get the idea).

I'm not as bothered by a lossy operation being done over the network,
because this particular property value is not reflected in the working
copy anyway.

-Karl

changing revision props (was: SVN log character encoding.)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 12:12:18PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> (And this should be easy to do over DAV;  just do the same thing we do
> for setting log messages:  do a CHECKOUT of a baseline into our
> activity, and then PROPPATCH it.)

Actually, the model is a bit different. The CHECKOUT creates a working
baseline, where the PROPPATCH is performed. Later, we execute a MERGE which
checks in that working baseline, creating a new one with the props we
attached.

But in the -r2309 case, we're changing an existing baseline (from a
modelling standpoint). Thus, you want to PROPPATCH directly against a
baseline. So... get the URL to the baseline, but don't do a CHECKOUT on it.
Just PROPPATCH it.

mod_dav_svn will need to be tweaked to allow that, but it shouldn't be a
hard one.

However, I *do* worry about enabling that as a remote operation. What hooks
get run? How is authorization performed? Is logging possible?

Effectively, the operation is lossy -- you lose the previous property value.
Lossy operations via the network just feels shaky to me. I like the implicit
requirement that you have shell access (in order to run svnadmin) to change
any revision properties.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: SVN log character encoding.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> Yes indeed:
>
>    svn propset -r2319 key val
>
> That should set a unversioned property on revision 2319, no?

Heh!  Interesting interface overload... I like it!

Re: SVN log character encoding.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> > > Errr... BTW... is there any (easy) way to modify log messages in SVN
> > > repository?
> > > Because tring to make the encodings to work I saved some messages in
> > > UTF8 and now I see them bad. :(
> >
> > svnadmin setlog
>
> Btw, we'd like to make this functionality available from the client
> via ra_dav, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Yes indeed:

   svn propset -r2319 key val

That should set a unversioned property on revision 2319, no?

We can do the same thing for propdel, propedit, and proplist.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Leandro Lucarella <ll...@mecon.gov.ar> writes:

> Branko ??ibej, el jueves 12 de septiembre a las 00:50 me escribiste:
> > Of course, you should also make sure that libiconv is available on your
> > system. By the way, what system are you using?
>
> Errr... BTW... is there any (easy) way to modify log messages in SVN
> repository?
> Because tring to make the encodings to work I saved some messages in
> UTF8 and now I see them bad. :(

svnadmin setlog

Re: SVN log character encoding.

Posted by Leandro Lucarella <ll...@mecon.gov.ar>.
Branko ??ibej, el jueves 12 de septiembre a las 00:50 me escribiste:
> Of course, you should also make sure that libiconv is available on your
> system. By the way, what system are you using?

Errr... BTW... is there any (easy) way to modify log messages in SVN
repository?
Because tring to make the encodings to work I saved some messages in
UTF8 and now I see them bad. :(

--
Leandro Lucarella @ MEcon                       .-----------------------------.
                                               /  Powered by Debian GNU/Linux |
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  GPG Key:               http://bal748.mecon.ar/~luca/public_key.gpg         |
|  GPG Key Fingerprint:   716E 4896 93B2 640D 917D  96D8 4B16 3177 C864 D90B  |
¡Cuidado! Nuestros hijos nos miran.
		-- Cantervill. (1953) Poeta, cantautor, internauta y webmaster
		argentino.

RE: SVN log character encoding.

Posted by Jon Watte <hp...@mindcontrol.org>.
> Of course, you should also make sure that libiconv is available on your
> system. By the way, what system are you using?

Curiously, this dependency is not mentioned or noted in the build
and install instructions. For people building a stripped down box,
it might not be there.

Is there any particular version needed? What's the canonical source?

Cheers,

			/ h+

Re: SVN log character encoding.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Leandro Lucarella wrote:

>Hi! I'm using svn and I'm a spanish speaker. I've noticed that when I
>put "extended" characters in muy commit messages, they are not stored in
>the right way (or not diplayed well with svn log). I'm using ISO-8859-1
>(editing with vim the messages) and tried UTF8 without success.
>What encoding is svn using? How can I make my "extendended" characters
>(á,é,í,ó,ú,ü,ñ,etc) stored (or displayed) in the right way?
>
>(please Cc me since I'm not subscribed to the list).

Subversion converts the log messages to UTF-8 before storing them in the
repository, and back to the local encoding for display. If your log
messages aren't being converted correctly, you can do one of two things:

    * Make sure your locale setting correctly identifies the encoding
      you're using (e.g., in your case it might be
      LC_ALL=es_AR.ISO8859-1); or,
    * Use the --message-encoding option; e.g., --message-encoding=ISO8859-1