Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net> on 2012/03/20 20:51:57 UTC

Apache OpenOffice Extensions/Templates Sites: State of the art

Hi all,

Here is a quick recap of what we at SourceForge have been doing over
the last weeks to help the Apache Open Office community and what we
plan to do in the near future.

- Full analysis of the configurations and setup of the Extensions and
Templates sites, to better understand existing and potential future
issues;

- Maintenance and updates to he Drupal modules of the two sites; (this
included the update of the Drupal 5 platform to work with PHP 5.3)

- Analysis of the performance issues of the sites replacing the caching systems;

- Transparent Redirects to the SourceForge mirror for uploads' and
downloads' operations to enabling a faster download and reducing
significantly the load on the Drupal servers;

- Rewriting all parts of the sites depending on
extensions/templates.services.openoffice.org URLs;
(the actual extensions/templates.openoffice.org can be relocated at
any other URL the community might like);

- Allowing users to login both with the openoffice.org accounts and
with local accounts;
(in order to manage smoothly the shutdown of Oracle infrastructure);

- Automatic conversion of openoffice.org users' accounts to local accounts;
(all users who actually logged in before Oracle shutdown were hence
migrated seamless)

- Creation of new accounts directly as local accounts and not as an
account at openoffice.org;

- Managing the transition of active users to the new system by direct
mailing them prior to the receipt of  users' accounts; (we needed to
do that in order to avoid the risk of having active users out of the
system for some days)

What's next:

1 - We plan to Migrats all users right away, providing them also with
some interesting info (e.g. extensions/templates recently created,
statistics, etc)

2 - Help market AOO Extensions and Templates, e.g. interviewing
creators and sharing the news via our media. Our community growth
hacker and Apache member Rich Bowen will be happy to help with that.

I wish also to take the chance here to thanks Ross Gardler, who
mentored us through the collaboration process, Rob Weir for his inputs
and support, and Gavin McDonald and the whole Infra team, who provided
us with all necessary information, often getting help in turn from
Andrew Rist (who was also supportive and helpful).

I think it's also appropriate to give credit to our SiteOp team,
especially Jacob Morman who was the owner of the activity on our side,
and Wayne Davison who worked hard, deployed new servers, and went
above and beyond the call of duty in getting this deployed quickly.
Our engineering team did a lot of work especially, Dave Brondsema was
also of great help, enabling our Allura open source forge to deliver
on performance. We’re also very grateful to Antonio DeMarco the
contractor who actually turned all our specifications and fix requests
into a working platform. And I’s also like to thank Mark Ramm who
helped mobilize and organize the engineering, contractor, and site
operations work so that we could get this done quickly. Last but not
least, I wish to say thank to Andrea Pescetti, who actually provided
us with all details about how those websites work.

Roberto
====
This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.

Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions/Templates Sites: State of the art

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.
Just tried to download one template...very nice!

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Roberto,

On Tuesday, 20. March 2012 at 20:51, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> [...]
>
> I think it's also appropriate to give credit to our SiteOp team,
> especially Jacob Morman who was the owner of the activity on our side,
> and Wayne Davison who worked hard, deployed new servers, and went
> above and beyond the call of duty in getting this deployed quickly.
> Our engineering team did a lot of work especially, Dave Brondsema was
> also of great help, enabling our Allura open source forge to deliver
> on performance. We’re also very grateful to Antonio DeMarco the
> contractor who actually turned all our specifications and fix requests
> into a working platform. And I’s also like to thank Mark Ramm who
> helped mobilize and organize the engineering, contractor, and site
> operations work so that we could get this done quickly. Last but not
> least, I wish to say thank to Andrea Pescetti, who actually provided
> us with all details about how those websites work.

thanks to all who was involved in this effort. It will definitely help us to move forward ...

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net
> >wrote:

> rgaloppini@geek.net>

> (this

> caching
> >> systems;

> >> accounts;

> >> Below a draft text for the Templates mass mailing (Extensions is just
> >> the same, but tailored for that constituency). Let me know if you want
> >> us to add something about the upcoming release or if you have any
> >> other suggestion.
> >>
> >> Dear OpenOffice.org Templates user,
> >>
> >> As you may have heard, Oracle contributed the OpenOffice.org (OOo)
> >> code to Apache in June 2011. As part of this move, we are about to
> >> lose access to the servers that formerly hosted the OpenOffice.org
> website
> >> and various other online services associated with the project,
> >> included the Templates websites.
> >>
> >> Since SourceForge is currently hosting the Templates website, in
> >> collaboration with the Apache OpenOffice community we are working to
> >> help you to smoothly retain full control over your existing Templates
> >> credentials.
> >>
> >> All you need to do is to go to the following page and reset your
> password.
> >>
> >> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/user/password
> >>
> >> Whatever was your role at the OpenOffice.org community, we'd like to
> >> say thank you for your past contributions, and we look forward to see
> >> you help also the Apache OpenOffice community to succeed. We want also
> >> to take the chance to inform you that the Apache OpenOffice Templates
> >> and Apache OpenOffice Extensions were the first and second,
> >> respectively, on the last week's list of top-growth projects. That is,
> >> downloads for these two collections grew more in the last week than
> >> any other project on SourceForge.
> >>
> >> You maybe interested in knowing who are the top 10 Templates or which
> >> are the top countries by download, see below for more information.
> >>

> > Is it OK if I put these stats in the AOO blog?  Or are you going to do a
> > blog post on this at SF?
>
> We might do both. If it's ok with you we might send the emails and
> publish them at the SF blog, so that you might eventually write them
> and point to our own blog entry if you like.

Sure.  That would be fine.

-Rob

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.