Posted to muse-user@ws.apache.org by Nelson Kotowski <nk...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/20 18:03:14 UTC

New to Muse - Concepts

Hello everyone,

I have a newbie question, i read in the Muse site that applications may be
developed using J2EE or OGSi.

I understand that J2EE provides means for developing SOAP oriented
applications, but Is there a was to develop services using J2SE purely,
along with Muse libraries, ou J2SE by adding some other libraries?

I don't know if my question makes much sense, bu anyway, it's a newbie
question :)

Best Regards,
Nelson P K Filho.

Re: New to Muse - Concepts

Posted by Bogdan Solomon <bs...@ncct.uottawa.ca>.
If you want to use it in J2SE then you need to create it as OSGi. (which uses
Axis2)

Take a look at http://ws.apache.org/muse/docs/2.2.0/tutorial/index.html and
follow the links that say OSGi.

But it will not be a pure J2SE application as it will running inside the
OSGi platform.

Re: New to Muse - Concepts

Posted by Nelson Kotowski <nk...@gmail.com>.
Great Dan,

That's it then. Tomcat/Axis2 is the way :)

Thank you very much for the help.

By the way, have you managed to develop any WSRF-compliant service in Muse?
I'm going to try to start a new one, and some impressions could be very
helpful (Here i am again bothering you...)

Kind regards,
Nelson Kotowski.

Re: New to Muse - Concepts

Posted by Nelson Kotowski <nk...@gmail.com>.
Ok, i think i got it.

Thanks for everyone, for all your help, it was great :)

Re: New to Muse - Concepts

Posted by Bogdan Solomon <bs...@ncct.uottawa.ca>.

RE: New to Muse - Concepts

Posted by "Vinh Nguyen (vinguye2)" <vi...@cisco.com>.
As an added note, if you use Tomcat at the minimum, then you really are
using J2EE.  So it's not a pure J2SE app.  As Bogdan pointed out, in
Muse, the web service endpoints communicate via HTTP, which is a J2EE
component.

I've always used Tomcat5.0/Axis2 as my primary dev/test environment for
Muse, so you could say that Muse works best in that environment.  :)  Of
course, we have also done a lot of work for OSGi support in the last
three releases, and you should find that to be comparable as far as
level of quality/robustness; your decision comes down to which
environment (Tomcat vs. OSGi) is most comfortable for you.

Dan

"Nelson Kotowski" <nk...@gmail.com> wrote on 08/21/2007 03:09:19 PM:

> As a matter of fact, i just came from executing OGSA-DAI WSI/WSRF
tutorial,
> which makes use of Tomcat/Axis, among other things :)
>
> Now, i was trying to find a way to develop WSRF-compliant grid
> services, without using proprietary grid middleware (such as Globus
> Toolkit, Websphere, etc). On OGSA site i found out about Apache Muse.
>
> If i had a way to develop a WSRF-compliant grid service with Tomcat +
Axis +
> Muse + J2SE, that would be great.
>
> From what i could gather from Bogdan and you, Dan, it would be
> possible
> do so via that bundle, correct?
>
> It's just that it is quite hard to find out material/reviews from
> people
who
> developed a WSRF-compliant without GT4, Websphere, etc. They are quite
great
> in what they stand for, but right now i am not allowed to use them.
>
> Best regards,
> NPKF.
>

> On 8/21/07, Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >

> > If you go down that route, you're going to end up rewriting an HTTP
> > server/app container yourself... which is probably not something you
want
> > to take on. If you're concerned about footprint, try Tomcat 5.0's
embedded
> > server - it's quite small (even smaller than the Axis2 + Muse bundle

> > you're going to put on top of it). After stripping out the stuff I
> > didn't
want,
> > I've gotten embedded Tomcat 5 down to 5 MB. Axis2 is ~10 MB, Muse
> > adds
> > ~1.5
> > MB. If you use our mini SOAP engine, you can lose the Axis2
> > footprint
as

Re: New to Muse - Concepts

Posted by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com>.