Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Smart,Dan" <Sm...@VMCMAIL.com> on 2004/08/20 15:55:57 UTC

(Slight-OT) What happens when spamc dies in procmail?

I'm calling procmail from Postfix 2.0 using the familiar pipe technique.
I run SpamAssassin from procmail.

If my spamc does not start (too many instances running) or does not finish
(times out) what happens to the message?
Does it bounce, defer, or just get delivered.?

Procmail has a parameter called TIMEOUT.  If this expires before spamc
finishes its thing, what happens to the message.  Will the timeout kill the
procmail session?

I was hoping to get mail to defer if there is a problem, not bounce or
deliver anyway.  Suggestions?

<<Dan>>

Re: (Slight-OT) What happens when spamc dies in procmail?

Posted by Martin Schröder <ms...@artcom-gmbh.de>.
On 2004-08-20 08:55:57 -0500, Smart,Dan wrote:
> If my spamc does not start (too many instances running) or does not finish
> (times out) what happens to the message?
> Does it bounce, defer, or just get delivered.?

procmailrc(5):
       w    Wait  for  the  filter or program to finish and check
            its exitcode (normally ignored);  if  the  filter  is
            unsuccessful,  then  the text will not have been fil­
            tered.

The rule will not deliver so procmail continues.

> I was hoping to get mail to defer if there is a problem, not bounce or
> deliver anyway.  Suggestions?

That may be possible with procmail magic. The procmail user list
is a good point to ask for help.

Best regards
        Martin
--
               Martin Schröder, ms@artcom-gmbh.de
     ArtCom GmbH, Lise-Meitner-Str 5, 28359 Bremen, Germany