Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Frank Gingras <th...@apache.org> on 2018/02/22 01:56:36 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Can't install apache2 in ubntu after an uninstall

It's a rather terrible idea to post a link without much context.

To make it worse, that forum post is without much substance that would help
us fix your problem. Start with the relevant error log entries.

Posted by jose cabrera <ji...@mail.com>.
> Nothing to do with Apache, but you can eliminate the distraction of the spurious line from grep by typing the command as: ps -ef | grep [h]ttpd '[h]ttpd' doesn't match 'httpd' John

thanks.  A new trick.

josé

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.

==================

Posted by jose cabrera <ji...@mail.com>.
Just to finish this thread, here is what I did to fix the problem:

step 1: apt-get remove apache2*
step 2: apt-get install apache2

Posted by jose cabrera <ji...@mail.com>.

Posted by jose cabrera <ji...@mail.com>.
> What happens if you do ps -ef | grep httpd
root@GBRTEF01LX005:/home/bzadmin/httpd-2.4.29# ps -ef | grep httpd
root     31788  8262  0 03:19 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto httpd

> ps -ef | grep apache (without the '2' on the end)
root@GBRTEF01LX005:/home/bzadmin/httpd-2.4.29# ps -ef | grep apache
root     31790  8262  0 03:20 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto apache

That means that these are fake runs of apache.  Let me kill them and try to reinstall.

thanks.  This is something to go on.  Woowoowoowoowoowoooo!

Re: [users@httpd] Can't install apache2 in ubntu after an uninstall

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.
Only one more idea comes to mind:  What happens if you do

ps -ef | grep httpd

and

ps -ef | grep apache   (without the '2' on the end)

That should at least check if Apache is running under httpd.

John
===========================

Posted by jose cabrera <ji...@mail.com>.

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.
This is probably a Ubuntu issue and not an Apache problem since Apache
isn't getting installed.  In that case, there would be no log entries.

But:  on most Unix systems the Apache daemon runs as httpd and can be
controlled by  <install-directory>/bin/apachectl.  he could check if the
daemon is running by issuing any of the apachectl commands - like
apachectl -k stop

It could be as simple as the httpd service not being properly set up,
although apt-get should have done that.  I don't run Ubuntu here so my
installation is significantly different but that should be a start to
debugging.

Remember you have to be root to run any of these commands.

As a last resort, just pull the current version of Apache from the Apache
web site and install it.  I've never had a failure doing that (except, of
course, my typing of the make commands!)

John
===============================

Posted by jose cabrera <ji...@mail.com>.

> >It's a rather terrible idea to post a link without much context.
Apologies.

> To make it worse, that forum post is without much substance that would help us fix your problem. Start with the relevant error log entries.

If I run,

/usr/sbin/apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES

here is the result:

root@GBRTEF01LX005:/var/www/html/bugzilla# /usr/sbin/apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES
 /usr/sbin/apachectl: 175: /usr/sbin/apachectl: /usr/sbin/apache2: not found
 Action '-t -D DUMP_MODULES' failed.
 The Apache error log may have more information.

When I go to the /var/log/apache2/error.log, it's empty.  And the origin of all of this is that I had to move a running bugzilla version from Windows into Ubuntu. I had the a fresh installation of bugzilla running yesterday, but when I tried to bring the data in, the css and scripts where not displaying the site correctly. I tried setting the owner and user of the files and directories, I found that apache was having rights issues. I tried getting help from bugzilla, but no one replied with the correct fix. I thought that if I remove apache and install it back, it would fix the security problems. Well, was I wrong...!

I have tried a good 4-5 times to,

sudo apt-get purge apache2 apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2-common
sudo apt-get autoremove
whereis apache2

and then used

sudo rm -rf /etc/apache2

on any directory that resulted from the whereis command. Now, I can not install apache2 on the system. Help.  So, even though, it appears as if it was installed, there is no /usr/sbin/apache2.  Thoughts?  Thanks.