Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org> on 2007/08/18 04:19:07 UTC

Asynchronous Http Client donation

Hi,

First, I want to say that I am a big fan of Mina.  For those who don't
know me (which is everyone), I am a committer on Geronimo and have had
several people ask about an async http client API to use with our NIO
clients with comet for the 2.0 Geronimo server.  We have had folks who
want to be able to do HTTP calls to 3rd party servers from servlets/web
apps to get content, and not tie up a thread while its doing its thing.
 So I decided to try to whip together an API that was similar to Commons
HttpClient, fully asynchronous, but based on Mina...and I think I have
80-90% of it completed.  It is here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/AsyncHttpClient

For what it's worth...it doesn't seem appropriate for Geronimo. So I
would like to donate it to Mina.  Please have a look at it and give me
feed back for if I have gone down the right path.  It can be enhanced
greatly as this is just a start, but I think it can be very useful and
become a powerful API with everyone moving to NIO.

Don't hold back any comments ;-)  I would really like to see an API like
this and I believe Mina is just perfect for this.

Please let me know what you think..and if you don't think its right for
Mina..thats ok too ;-)  But getting your feedback would be best for
me...and making this a community project is even better ;-)

Jeff

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Mark wrote:
> I will have some free time in the next week or so.  I can take the lead on
> incorporating this into the baseline, if someone wants to give me a good
> recommendation as to where to place the code.  My initial thought is to
> create a new top level project inside of the trunk.  Maybe
> "mina-asynch-httpclient" ?

+1 from a non-binding person ;-)

Jeff

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
I would agree with that.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Mark,

Have a look look at:

src/test/java/org/apache/ahc/AsyncHttpClientTest.java

The doConnection() is pretty much an example.  Basically, you set up an
implementation of the AHCCallback to notify you of a response, set up a
HttpRequestMessage for your URI, and then make the call to ahc.connect()
 and ahc.sendRequest(request).

However, I am probably going to get rid of the direct access to the
HttpRequestMessage and have folks just set/get on the AsyncHttpClient
object, which will act as a proxy to the HttpRequestMessage.  This will
simplify things.  I will also probably get rid of the sendRequest() and
have everything happen in the connect() method as a single async call -
again to simplify its use.

There are a few TODOs I am currently working on.

1) I am working on the HTTP/1.1 chunking (hopefully be done today).
2) Need to handle the HTTP/1.1 100 Continue (should be easy to do).
3) Auto-handle 301 Redirect.
4) Handle proxies.
5) A good timeout implementation.  Not sure whether to use the
sessionIdle() or use a concurrent timer.  Since its a single
request/response, sessionIdle() may work fine.
6) Possibly allow handling of streams for very large packets (right now
it pulls the entire response into memory - which works for 99% of the
use cases).  But it would be nice to allow people to get their data
moved in chunks.  I probably need some input on implementing this
efficiently...but I think this is the lowest priority item.
7) Finer grained control over the threading model.  Basically allow
people to tweak the thread pool or pass in their own to use.

What currently works:

A) HTTPS/SSL/HTTP submission and response
B) Cookie handling
C) Header handling
D) Parameter handling (web parameters)
E) All HTTP request types (GET, POST, etc)
D) Text and Binary responses

As for the donation's being up to Apache spec...I am already an Apache
guy (CLA already on file) and it's coming from Apache into Apache ;-)
AFICT I have all of the necessary headers are in the source - hopefully
I haven't missed anything.  We probably just need to rename the
packages, etc, to something more meaningful/appropriate to Mina.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/07, Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I would concur with you on this.  I think a sub-project of its own is
> good since it can be used as a standalone API (with a dependency on Mina
> of course).  I would recommend that this API be a separate artifact from
> asyncweb as I think we want the client to be capable of being slit off
> from the server (for obvious reasons).

+ 1 here too.  and I didn't review the code yet.  Too much things to
handle these days.  Let me get back to you again soon.

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Agreed...if we can split the artifacts, then that is fine with me.

Jeff

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Mike,

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
I am fine with that.  Honestly, I can't come up with a great reason for any
one particular place so I will go with the majority.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
That works for me....

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Excellent!  Thanks.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Happy to hear that you guys are taking care of all the stuff! :D

Let's keep the ball rockin' rolling!

Trustin

http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Smeltzer <ka...@lakeheadu.ca>.
Nice!

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Smeltzer <ka...@lakeheadu.ca>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
I have a question.  For the javadoc that is placed at the top of each class,
do we keep what is there(if any), or do we replace/insert the MINA
boilerplate information?

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Cameron Taggart <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Mike and Mark,

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Irving, Dave" <da...@bankofamerica.com>.
Also, on the asyncweb front - I'm all for this still coming across and
getting integrated with this new client (sounds good).
If enough people want it in as a sub-project (Which seems to be the
case), then it sounds like a good idea.
I really don't think much remains to be done for the integration to take
place - I just don't have the time right now to do much about it myself
:o(

However, I certainly put the hours in when it came to getting the
release grant from my previous employers (I'm sure a few people round
here will remember what a nightmare that was....) - so if someone else
has the time, and wants to pick up the gauntlet and take the final steps
to integrate it in to the mina codebase then it would be great to see
:o)
Hopefully soon I'll have more free time to start contributing properly
again!

Dave

Give me just a teeny-weeny bit more time to get the chunking code
checked in and its all yours...I'll ping the list.

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
Just so we are straight on terminology, what I referred to as a MINA
component is what I think you all are calling sub-projects.  I will be sure
to get this right from now on.  These include:

mina-example
mina-filter-codec-netty
mina-filter-compression
mina-integration-jmx
mina-integration-spring

My intention is to create a new sub-project called "mina-httpclient".  Once
I get the code up to compliance with the trunk, and an example for
"mina-example" in the trunk, I will check everything in.  I never planned on
placing this code into "mina-core", and would not vote for something like
this; it makes no sense.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
This sounds awesome!

Posted by Simon Aquilina <si...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for the explanation :) I am no expert in Mina so the source of my
questions was mostly made out from curiosity. However from what you
explained it seems to be a very good idea :)

Thanks again,
Sim085

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Aquilina <si...@hotmail.com>.