Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joost Nachtergaele <js...@admisol.com> on 2008/10/27 13:44:05 UTC

RE: [***SPAM*** Score/Req: 20.50/05.00] Re: Hot deployment of a new version of war file while users are still working on the old one.

Tnx for the quick reply.
Reading about clusters I see all session data needs to be Serializable, in
our case this is not possible.
What we use today is a load-balancer, disconnecting one server for new
connections, waiting for all sessions to expire, upgrade, and put the server
back on the load-balancer. This takes time, as some users are working all
day long. As the number of servers grows, this becomes a nightmare.

Does anybody now of a tool to do this job easier?

Tnx!
Jst.

> Hot deployment of a new version of war file while users are still working
on
> the old one.
>
> On a Tomcat server, users are using our application.
>
> I would like to be able to upload a new version, using the same name, so
> current users continue using the old version(until session timeout), and
new
> users use the new version.

Not possible with a single Tomcat instance. Easy with a simple two node
cluster.

Mark

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
You don't give much details about your problems. But I think you have some long-living big datastructures which are hold in the session, so you can't cluster your sessions.

You could redesign your application to make it more scalable. In the end that is your problem, so it's the solution also.
Other solutions wil be short term and only increase your nightmare on the long term.

Maybe you can put your datastructure in a database so you don't need to have it in a session.

Ronald.