Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jonathan Levinson <Jo...@intersystems.com> on 2011/12/04 00:02:29 UTC

Why do you use .cmd rather than .bat?

Hi Glenn,

I have a question for you about skynav FOP.  Why on Windows do you use ".cmd" as the extension of the fop command file - fop.cmd, rather than fop.bat?

We are going to be deploying skynav FOP at many sites and it would be great if we could rename the ".cmd" file to a ".bat" file since it would require fewer changes to our interface code.

Doing some research it seems that on Windows 7, Vista, and XP there is little difference between ".cmd" and ".bat" files, and differences only become significant on Windows 98.  Am I wrong?  Did I misread an article on the Web?

Thanks for the excellent work you have done!  Our Middle Eastern team tested your code and found nothing wrong with it in the context of our reporting tool, which calls FOP to do rendering.

Best Regards,
Jonathan Levinson
Senior Software Developer
Object Group
InterSystems
+1 617-621-0600
jonathan.levinson@intersystems.com

RE: Why do you use .cmd rather than .bat?

Posted by Jonathan Levinson <Jo...@intersystems.com>.
Hi Simon,

I tested the following fop.cmd file on Windows 7 and it works.  It may lack support for some earlier Windows versions, such as Windows 98.  I copy fop-dev so my little command file can be subjected to contributor review:

Here are the contents of fop.cmd.  The Apache script had tests for %OS%=Windows_NT, which is true on Windows 7.  I don't have a non-NT Windows system on which to test the script, so I removed those tests, such as " if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=%~dp0".  I won't put in code I can't test.

----- beginning of script fop.cmd ---------------------
@ECHO OFF
set LOCAL_FOP_HOME=%~dp0
set FOP_CMD_LINE_ARGS=%1
if ""%1""=="""" goto doneStart
shift
:setupArgs
if ""%1""=="""" goto doneStart
set FOP_CMD_LINE_ARGS=%FOP_CMD_LINE_ARGS% %1
shift
goto setupArgs
rem This label provides a place for the argument list loop to break out
:doneStart

call %LOCAL_FOP_HOME%\fop.bat %FOP_CMD_LINE_ARGS%

----------------- end of script ----

Posted by Pascal Sancho <pa...@takoma.fr>.
Hi Jonathan,

With recent Windows (Vista), IIUC there is no difference between .cmd
and .bat; the engine remains the same in both cases: cmd.exe

In the past, Win 9x family (and before) used only .bat, witch was
threated with command.com

The engine cmd.exe was introduced with NT family.

On XP machines, it seems that both cmd.exe and command.com coexist, and
invoking the former or the latter depends on ext. So there are some
differences of available commands and behaviors between .cmd and .bat on
such machines

HTH,

--
Pascal

RE: Why do you use .cmd rather than .bat?

Posted by Jonathan Levinson <Jo...@intersystems.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Levinson <Jo...@intersystems.com>.
I will test.

".bat" is used more often that ".cmd" and unless one changes one's settings the default is that if you have two files in a directory foobar.bat and foobar.cmd, and you execute foobar in that directory then foobar.bat will be executed not foobar.cmd.

Posted by Jonathan Levinson <Jo...@intersystems.com>.
Hi Simon,

Posted by Jonathan Levinson <Jo...@intersystems.com>.

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.

Posted by Jonathan Levinson <Jo...@intersystems.com>.
A copy named fop.bat would be very useful to us.

We currently have most sites deployed on fop 1.0, which names the command script on Windows as fop.bat.  For Skynav fop, for our Middle Eastern sites, we are contemplating (after suitable QA) replacing fop 1.0 with Skynav fop.  However, some of these sites will be on versions of our product which do assume the name of the script on Windows is fop.bat.  While, we can tell users to rename fop.cmd to fop.bat, it will simplify configuration if fop ships with a fop.bat.

We thank the FOP community for a superlative technology, which allows us and our customers to do report writing at many sites around the world in a cost-effective way.  Thank you to everyone who contributes to the FOP community!  It is truly a noble effort!

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
That's a good question. That is how it is named in the FOP trunk, and has
been for a long time apparently. I agree that fop.bat would be preferable
for Win platforms. I'll suggest this be changed in trunk, in which case I
can merge into my dev repo.

I never use fop.cmd myself for my development work. Furthermore, I only run
FOP on MacOSX, where I use ant to invoke it directly from the java task.

Thanks for testing out the Bidi and Middle Eastern support. I have recently
added fixes for fo:leader and a few other issues related to Bidi contexts.
See Patch 6 milestone under [1].

[1] https://skynav.trac.cvsdude.com/fop/report/6

Also, FYI, I recently moved the Skynav FOP repository to a (slightly)
different URL on GITHUB [2].

[2] http://github.com/skynav/fop

Best,
Glenn