Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Reza Mostafid <em...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/26 16:14:12 UTC

Building Apache for SVN & mod_dav_svn

Hi everyone,
  I am trying to build Apache configured for use as an SVN server
on a LINUX machine ( FEDORA Core 5 / Intel P4 ).
  I have tried my hand sucessfully at building open-source SW on
Linux before. However I am new to Subversion. I would apreciate
pointers to the following questions:

1.) Is a properly built and configured Apache server all I need
to have running, to act as a server for SVN? Or is there something
else required to be running alongside Apache?
  2.) Apart from 'mod_dav' & 'mod_dav_svn', what else do I need in
order to configure 'Apache' as a server for SVN clients?
  3.) Can I add the additional Apache modules needed for SVN support
statically when compiling the Apache server or do I >HAVE< to
include them dynamicaly with DSO support?
  4.) It is not obvious to me, but >WHERE< do I find the 'mod_dav_svn'
module ( I have tried searching the obvious places such as the ASF's
module site, but I don't seem to see the forest for the trees ).
Does the 'mod_dav_svn' come as *.c file somewhere? What does it look
like and where do I find it?
  5.) Could someone outline the steps for statically including the
required modules in Apache ( In case it's not quite obvious or
straightforward ) or alternatively kindly provide links to a site
where a brief outline is shared by someone who has done this before?

Thanks
  Reza Mosatfid

Re: Building Apache for SVN & mod_dav_svn

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 11:14, Reza Mostafid wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I am trying to build Apache configured for use as an SVN server
> on a LINUX machine ( FEDORA Core 5 / Intel P4 ).

The packaged version works fine on FC5:

yum install subversion mod_dav_svn

I've forgotten where the documentation lands if there is any,
but you basically just edit /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf
and 'service httpd restart' to activate it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Building Apache for SVN & mod_dav_svn

Posted by o....@cs.ucc.ie.
Hi Reza
If you really want to do it all from source,
this is from my notes recently on a SuSE linux 9.3 box

1. Build latest Apache2 from source.
use enable-ssl enable-so enable-dav at least.
You should end up with
mod_dav_svn.so
mod_authz_svn.so
in apache modules dir after the make install.

Also the Load Module directives will have been inserted into the
httpd.conf
file for you.
LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
LoadModule authz_svn_module modules/mod_authz_svn.so

2. Build latest stable Subversion server version Subversion 1.3.1 at time
of writing.
(a) use with-ssl with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs.
(b) Download and buld latest SWIG and build src in /usr/local/src/swig-
1.3.4 or what-ever version you use.
configure
make
make install
should build it.

(c) Install the subversion-python bindings
by doing make install-swig-py from subversion src dir. These are needed
if you want to use ViewVc [ formally ViewCVS ].

(d) add svn-python to the system library PATH by editing /etc/ld.so.conf
with these lines
/usr/local/lib/svn-python
/usr/local/lib/svn-python/libsvn
/usr/local/lib/svn-python/svn
Then run /sbin/ldconfig.

(e) Also add symbolic links into the system Python site-packages dir,
pointing to the new binaries you just installed.
In /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages
create:-
libsvn -> /usr/local/lib/svn-python/libsvn/
libsvn_swig_py-1.so -> /usr/local/lib/libsvn_swig_py-1.so
libsvn_swig_py-1.so.0 -> /usr/local/lib/libsvn_swig_py-1.so.0
svn -> /usr/local/lib/svn-python/svn
This is usually needed to get ViewVC cgi working correctly.

--
Oliver Nash
Computer Systems Support Group