Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Peter Len <pe...@earthlink.net> on 2004/11/10 15:42:32 UTC

XMLBeans general guidance

Hello,

I have been looking at  XMLBeans to possibly help solve one of my
problems but am getting lost as to if XMLBeans can really help with my
issue.

What I would like to do is something similar to what an XML parser (like
dom4j) can do with an XML document.  With Dom4j, for example, I can have
it parse an XML file and then I can use XPath expressions to get to a
particular element at which point I can get to its attributes, children,
etc.

I would like to try to have a similar thing with my XML Schema.  I would
like to have something (like XMLBeans) read in my schema and then let me
be able to access certain elements in the schema (like through XPath) to
get information such as cardinality (min/max occurs), enumeration
restrictions, data types, etc.  These items are needed in order to build
GUI elements.

I have run through the example of compiling my schema into Java objects
but am having a hard time getting down to my elements to get information
like enumeration values and cardinality.  I started to look in the area
of the "Schema Type System" but the documentation from the XMLBeans site
on this doesn't really help me determine if that is the right path.

Thanks - Peter Len