Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com> on 2010/12/14 14:34:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Web Socket support

Are there any plans to add support for HTML 5 web sockets to Apache?

Specifically I'm interested in plans to add such support plus delegation
of such requests to backend Java servlet engines, i.e. Tomcat, via
mod_jk or some similar module.  [mod_proxy_ajp unfortunately does not
load balance as well as mod_jk.]

The alternative would seem to be to take Apache out of the picture
entirely -- replacing it with an IP load balancer and relying solely on
Java servlet engines for all responses.  Today we use Apache primarily
to handle authentication and load balance to Tomcat.  Yes, we also let
it serve static content, but if it cannot handle and load balance
emerging protocols, then we may no longer have a place for it -- as we
certainly can do authentication in Tomcat.

--
Jess Holle

Re: [users@httpd] Web Socket support

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 14 Dec 2010, at 13:34, Jess Holle wrote:

> Are there any plans to add support for HTML 5 web sockets to Apache?

There are some third-party solutions available.  One of them is at
http://code.google.com/p/pywebsocket/

--
Nick Kew