Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/22 05:33:29 UTC

Preparation for Hive-1.2 release

Hi Folks,

Per my mail 3 weeks back, we should start getting ready to release 1.2
as a rollup. And as per my proposal to manage this release, I'd like
to start off the process of forking 1.2, and making trunk 1.3.

I've set up a cwiki page for people to land development patches that
are almost done, to signal their desire that this be included in 1.2 :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status

A rough timeline I see for this process would be to fork this Friday
(24th Apr), and then start rolling out RC0 by, say, Wednesday next
week. This would mean that I would request that if you want your jira
included in 1.2, it be close to completion, or have a patch available
for review. By mid next week, also, I expect to freeze the wiki
inclusion list for features, and keep it open only for bugfixes
discovered during testing the various RCs.

Please feel free to edit that jira with your requests, or, if you
don't have edit privileges, if you reply to this mail, I can add it
in. (Also, if you don't have wiki edit privileges, you should probably
ask for it. :p)

Thanks!
-Sushanth

Re: Preparation for Hive-1.2 release

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
You might want to allow extra time for the transition to git, unless it
goes very smoothly.  Right now commits aren't possible.

And for those that don't know, here's how to get wiki edit privileges:  About
This Wiki
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/AboutThisWiki#AboutThisWiki-Howtogetpermissiontoedit>
.

-- Lefty

Posted by Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

I notice that the process of creating a new version does not involve a JIRA
ticket where we track a patch for changes committed to master.

One of the tests that was recently created on Jenkins is a job that run all
HMS upgrade tests for mysql/postgres/derby (oracle is still in progress)
when new changes are detected on a patch; and the current commit for 1.3.0
version contains new .sql files on the metastore upgrade scripts, but the
HMS test did not run because a patch does not exist for this.

Should we use a JIRA in future versions so that these HMS upgrade tests can
be executed, and the metastore can be verified for any bug added to the
.sql files?

- Sergio

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

Sergio is mentioning the actual commit to move to 1.3 version:
https://github.com/apache/hive/commit/123bb8e1a466f46fa54855b15961c274846a3b31,
which touches the metastore scripts.  Such commits should have a JIRA and
patch attached, in order to run the metastore upgrade pre-commit tests and
make sure no regression.

Thanks
Szehon

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.
Created 1.3.0 version in jira.

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Folks,

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Szehon,

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.
@Lefty :

Posted by 김영우 <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for your requests for inclusion over at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
. This list is now frozen for any new requests for inclusion of
ordinary bugfixes or features, and we'll work our way through RCs
attempting to get all the outstanding issues resolved.

There is still one final list that is not frozen, but the bar for this
is higher than the previous lists, and this list will remain open
until we wrap up this release. To request a JIRA for inclusion in this
list, it must qualify for one of the following three cases:

a) A product outage (i.e. causes a major feature of hive to not work,
without there being any workaround)
b) A regression (something, possibly a regular test used to work, but
no longer works as of this release)
c) A trivial change that carries no testing risk associated with it

All committers who have requested jiras for inclusion so far, please
try to get your patches in asap, and we'll get moving with the release
process. :)

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Folks,

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Folks,

As per the timeline set on

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi,

Coming from the Apache Hadoop community.

We made a recent release of 2.7.0 [1]. We are calling it not-yet-ready with one of the primary intentions to get it vetted through downstream projects. We plan to release a 2.7.1 (or 2.7.2) when it is considered stable enough for most of our users.

Can Hive move to 2.7.0, at least with the initial intention of testing/validation?

Thanks,
+Vinod

[1] [ANNOUNCE] Apache Hadoop 2.7.0 Release http://markmail.org/thread/ytisa4w73ym4ee65