Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by da...@davesmall.net on 2002/08/13 10:32:50 UTC

I have a webapp, which parts of SLIDE can I use?

Hi all.

Apologies for this general email, but I am finding the SLIDE
literature quite difficult to get a handle on - I am hoping that
someone with good SLIDE experience may be able to help me cut through
to the 'good stuff' :)

We have a web application (EJB, Servlets, Model 2 JSP) which includes
a document management component - at the moment it's entirely accessed
through HTML pages generated from JSPs/XML/XSLT and web requests made
by a web browsers as clients.

We are wondering which parts of SLIDE/WebDAV we can use to integrate
with WEBDav clients (eg MS Office 2000).

Our ideal position is for users to be able to browse folders as if
they were local (but which are stored in the lower layers of our web
app), then to be able to open/save files as if they were on a
local/network drive. In reality these GET/PUT/LOCK/UNLOCK WebDAV
methods will map onto calls into the lower levels of our webapp...

I have looked at Apache mod_dav and that allows users to get/put files
into a directory space. However, I am hoping to make get/put calls to
our application server to navigate/download/upload files... can SLIDE
do this?

Are we likely to need a little or a lot of SLIDE to do this?

All pointers very much appreciated.
Dave Small