Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Glen Vickers <ld...@xmission.com> on 2007/05/13 06:39:48 UTC

[users@httpd] Resolve issue

K I think I've narrowed it down a bit.  I think my config is fine.  My fault
lies in my resolution I think.  They all resolve to the same machine which
is itself but it's a hit and miss.  It seems I get either the buddistpalm
site or the sillum site but they don't always point to their intended
content..

Someone please tell me what I'm missing.  I need to get paid! lol

Heres my resolv.conf

search buddistpalm.net

search sillumutah.com

search sillumutah.net

nameserver 192.168.1.10

nameserver 198.60.22.2 (ISP name server)

Here's my hosts file

192.168.1.10       shaolin  buddistpalm.net sillumutah.com sillumutah.net
localhost.localdomain localhost

And my config

#

# This is the main Apache server configuration file.  It contains the

# configuration directives that give the server its instructions.

# See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/> for detailed information.

# In particular, see

# <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/directives.html>

# for a discussion of each configuration directive.

#

#

# Do NOT simply read the instructions in here without understanding

# what they do.  They're here only as hints or reminders.  If you are unsure

# consult the online docs. You have been warned.

#

# The configuration directives are grouped into three basic sections:

#  1. Directives that control the operation of the Apache server process as

#     whole (the 'global environment').

#  2. Directives that define the parameters of the 'main' or 'default'
server,

#     which responds to requests that aren't handled by a virtual host.

#     These directives also provide default values for the settings

#     of all virtual hosts.

#  3. Settings for virtual hosts, which allow Web requests to be sent to

#     different IP addresses or hostnames and have them handled by the

#     same Apache server process.

#

# Configuration and logfile names: If the filenames you specify for many

# of the server's control files begin with "/" (or "drive:/" for Win32), the

# server will use that explicit path.  If the filenames do *not* begin

# with "/", the value of ServerRoot is prepended -- so "logs/foo.log"

# with ServerRoot set to "/etc/httpd" will be interpreted by the

# server as "/etc/httpd/logs/foo.log".

#

### Section 1: Global Environment

#

# The directives in this section affect the overall operation of Apache,

# such as the number of concurrent requests it can handle or where it

# can find its configuration files.

#

#

# Don't give away too much information about all the subcomponents

# we are running.  Comment out this line if you don't mind remote sites

# finding out what major optional modules you are running

ServerTokens OS

#

# ServerRoot: The top of the directory tree under which the server's

# configuration, error, and log files are kept.

#

# NOTE!  If you intend to place this on an NFS (or otherwise network)

# mounted filesystem then please read the LockFile documentation

# (available at
<URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#lockfile>);

# you will save yourself a lot of trouble.

#

# Do NOT add a slash at the end of the directory path.

#

ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"

#

# PidFile: The file in which the server should record its process

# identification number when it starts.

#

PidFile run/httpd.pid

#

# Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.

#

Timeout 120

#

# KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than

# one request per connection). Set to "Off" to deactivate.

#

KeepAlive Off

#

# MaxKeepAliveRequests: The maximum number of requests to allow

# during a persistent connection. Set to 0 to allow an unlimited amount.

# We recommend you leave this number high, for maximum performance.

#

MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

#

# KeepAliveTimeout: Number of seconds to wait for the next request from the

# same client on the same connection.

#

KeepAliveTimeout 15

##

## Server-Pool Size Regulation (MPM specific)

##

# prefork MPM

# StartServers: number of server processes to start

# MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare

# MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare

# ServerLimit: maximum value for MaxClients for the lifetime of the server

# MaxClients: maximum number of server processes allowed to start

# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves

<IfModule prefork.c>

StartServers       8

MinSpareServers    5

MaxSpareServers   20

ServerLimit      256

MaxClients       256

MaxRequestsPerChild  4000

</IfModule>

# worker MPM

# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start

# MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections

# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare

# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare

# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process

# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves

<IfModule worker.c>

StartServers         2

MaxClients         150

MinSpareThreads     25

MaxSpareThreads     75

ThreadsPerChild     25

MaxRequestsPerChild  0

</IfModule>

#

# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or

# ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>

# directive.

#

# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to

# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)

#

#Listen 12.34.56.78:80

Listen 192.168.1.10:80

#

# Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support

#

# To be able to use the functionality of a module which was built as a DSO
you

# have to place corresponding `LoadModule' lines at this location so the

# directives contained in it are actually available _before_ they are used.

# Statically compiled modules (those listed by `httpd -l') do not need

# to be loaded here.

#

# Example:

# LoadModule foo_module modules/mod_foo.so

#

LoadModule auth_basic_module modules/mod_auth_basic.so

LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so

LoadModule authn_file_module modules/mod_authn_file.so

LoadModule authn_alias_module modules/mod_authn_alias.so

LoadModule authn_anon_module modules/mod_authn_anon.so

LoadModule authn_dbm_module modules/mod_authn_dbm.so

LoadModule authn_default_module modules/mod_authn_default.so

LoadModule authz_host_module modules/mod_authz_host.so

LoadModule authz_user_module modules/mod_authz_user.so

LoadModule authz_owner_module modules/mod_authz_owner.so

LoadModule authz_groupfile_module modules/mod_authz_groupfile.so

LoadModule authz_dbm_module modules/mod_authz_dbm.so

LoadModule authz_default_module modules/mod_authz_default.so

LoadModule ldap_module modules/mod_ldap.so

LoadModule authnz_ldap_module modules/mod_authnz_ldap.so

LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so

LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so

LoadModule logio_module modules/mod_logio.so

LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so

LoadModule ext_filter_module modules/mod_ext_filter.so

LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so

LoadModule expires_module modules/mod_expires.so

LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so

LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so

LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.so

LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so

LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so

LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so

LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so

LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so

LoadModule info_module modules/mod_info.so

LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so

LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so

LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so

LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so

LoadModule actions_module modules/mod_actions.so

LoadModule speling_module modules/mod_speling.so

LoadModule userdir_module modules/mod_userdir.so

LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so

LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

LoadModule proxy_balancer_module modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so

LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so

LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so

LoadModule cache_module modules/mod_cache.so

LoadModule suexec_module modules/mod_suexec.so

LoadModule disk_cache_module modules/mod_disk_cache.so

LoadModule file_cache_module modules/mod_file_cache.so

LoadModule mem_cache_module modules/mod_mem_cache.so

LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so

#

# The following modules are not loaded by default:

#

#LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/mod_cern_meta.so

#LoadModule asis_module modules/mod_asis.so

#

# Load config files from the config directory "/etc/httpd/conf.d".

#

Include conf.d/*.conf

#

# ExtendedStatus controls whether Apache will generate "full" status

# information (ExtendedStatus On) or just basic information (ExtendedStatus

# Off) when the "server-status" handler is called. The default is Off.

#

#ExtendedStatus On

#

# If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must run

# httpd as root initially and it will switch.

#

# User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd as.

#  . On SCO (ODT 3) use "User nouser" and "Group nogroup".

#  . On HPUX you may not be able to use shared memory as nobody, and the

#    suggested workaround is to create a user www and use that user.

#  NOTE that some kernels refuse to setgid(Group) or semctl(IPC_SET)

#  when the value of (unsigned)Group is above 60000;

#  don't use Group #-1 on these systems!

#

User apache

Group apache

### Section 2: 'Main' server configuration

#

# The directives in this section set up the values used by the 'main'

# server, which responds to any requests that aren't handled by a

# <VirtualHost> definition.  These values also provide defaults for

# any <VirtualHost> containers you may define later in the file.

#

# All of these directives may appear inside <VirtualHost> containers,

# in which case these default settings will be overridden for the

# virtual host being defined.

#

#

# ServerAdmin: Your address, where problems with the server should be

# e-mailed.  This address appears on some server-generated pages, such

# as error documents.  e.g. admin@your-domain.com

#

ServerAdmin root@buddistpalm.net

#

# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify
itself.

# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify

# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.

#

# If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated

# redirections will not work.  See also the UseCanonicalName directive.

#

# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address
here.

# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make

# redirections work in a sensible way.

#

ServerName shaolin:80

#

# UseCanonicalName: Determines how Apache constructs self-referencing

# URLs and the SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT variables.

# When set "Off", Apache will use the Hostname and Port supplied

# by the client.  When set "On", Apache will use the value of the

# ServerName directive.

#

UseCanonicalName On

DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

<Directory />

    Options FollowSymLinks

    AllowOverride None

</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/html">

    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

    AllowOverride None

    Order allow,deny

    Allow from all

</Directory>

DocumentRoot "/var/www/sillumutah"

<Directory "/var/www/sillumutah">

    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

    AllowOverride None

    Order allow,deny

    Allow from all

</Directory>

#

# UserDir: The name of the directory that is appended onto a user's home

# directory if a ~user request is received.

#

# The path to the end user account 'public_html' directory must be

# accessible to the webserver userid.  This usually means that ~userid

# must have permissions of 711, ~userid/public_html must have permissions

# of 755, and documents contained therein must be world-readable.

# Otherwise, the client will only receive a "403 Forbidden" message.

#

# See also: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#forbidden

#

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>

    #

    # UserDir is disabled by default since it can confirm the presence

    # of a username on the system (depending on home directory

    # permissions).

    #

    UserDir disable

    #

    # To enable requests to /~user/ to serve the user's public_html

    # directory, remove the "UserDir disable" line above, and uncomment

    # the following line instead:

    #

    #UserDir public_html

</IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var index.htm index.php index.cgi

AccessFileName .htaccess

<Files ~ "^\.ht">

    Order allow,deny

    Deny from all

</Files>

#

# TypesConfig describes where the mime.types file (or equivalent) is

# to be found.

#

TypesConfig /etc/mime.types

DefaultType text/plain

<IfModule mod_mime_magic.c>

#   MIMEMagicFile /usr/share/magic.mime

    MIMEMagicFile conf/magic

</IfModule>

HostnameLookups Off

ErrorLog logs/error_log

LogLevel warn

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined

LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer

LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

CustomLog logs/access_log combined

ServerSignature On

<Directory "/var/www/icons">

    Options Indexes MultiViews

    AllowOverride None

    Order allow,deny

    Allow from all

</Directory>

<IfModule mod_dav_fs.c>

    # Location of the WebDAV lock database.

    DAVLockDB /var/lib/dav/lockdb

</IfModule>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">

    AllowOverride None

    Options None

    Order allow,deny

    Allow from all

</Directory>

IndexOptions FancyIndexing VersionSort NameWidth=* HTMLTable

AddIconByEncoding (CMP,/icons/compressed.gif) x-compress x-gzip

AddIconByType (TXT,/icons/text.gif) text/*

AddIconByType (IMG,/icons/image2.gif) image/*

AddIconByType (SND,/icons/sound2.gif) audio/*

AddIconByType (VID,/icons/movie.gif) video/*

AddIcon /icons/binary.gif .bin .exe

AddIcon /icons/binhex.gif .hqx

AddIcon /icons/tar.gif .tar

AddIcon /icons/world2.gif .wrl .wrl.gz .vrml .vrm .iv

AddIcon /icons/compressed.gif .Z .z .tgz .gz .zip

AddIcon /icons/a.gif .ps .ai .eps

AddIcon /icons/layout.gif .html .shtml .htm .pdf

AddIcon /icons/text.gif .txt

AddIcon /icons/c.gif .c

AddIcon /icons/p.gif .pl .py

AddIcon /icons/f.gif .for

AddIcon /icons/dvi.gif .dvi

AddIcon /icons/uuencoded.gif .uu

AddIcon /icons/script.gif .conf .sh .shar .csh .ksh .tcl

AddIcon /icons/tex.gif .tex

AddIcon /icons/bomb.gif core

AddIcon /icons/back.gif ..

AddIcon /icons/hand.right.gif README

AddIcon /icons/folder.gif ^^DIRECTORY^^

AddIcon /icons/blank.gif ^^BLANKICON^^

#

# DefaultIcon is which icon to show for files which do not have an icon

# explicitly set.

#

DefaultIcon /icons/unknown.gif

ReadmeName README.html

HeaderName HEADER.html

IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t

AddLanguage ca .ca

AddLanguage cs .cz .cs

AddLanguage da .dk

AddLanguage de .de

AddLanguage el .el

AddLanguage en .en

AddLanguage eo .eo

AddLanguage es .es

AddLanguage et .et

AddLanguage fr .fr

AddLanguage he .he

AddLanguage hr .hr

AddLanguage it .it

AddLanguage ja .ja

AddLanguage ko .ko

AddLanguage ltz .ltz

AddLanguage nl .nl

AddLanguage nn .nn

AddLanguage no .no

AddLanguage pl .po

AddLanguage pt .pt

AddLanguage pt-BR .pt-br

AddLanguage ru .ru

AddLanguage sv .sv

AddLanguage zh-CN .zh-cn

AddLanguage zh-TW .zh-tw

LanguagePriority en ca cs da de el eo es et fr he hr it ja ko ltz nl nn no
pl pt pt-BR ru sv zh-CN zh-TW

ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

AddType application/x-compress .Z

AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz

AddHandler type-map var

AddType text/html .shtml

AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

Alias /error/ "/var/www/error/"

<IfModule mod_negotiation.c>

<IfModule mod_include.c>

    <Directory "/var/www/error">

        AllowOverride None

        Options IncludesNoExec

        AddOutputFilter Includes html

        AddHandler type-map var

        Order allow,deny

        Allow from all

        LanguagePriority en es de fr

        ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback

    </Directory>

</IfModule>

</IfModule>

BrowserMatch "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive

BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

BrowserMatch "RealPlayer 4\.0" force-response-1.0

BrowserMatch "Java/1\.0" force-response-1.0

BrowserMatch "JDK/1\.0" force-response-1.0

BrowserMatch "Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider"
redirect-carefully

BrowserMatch "MS FrontPage" redirect-carefully

BrowserMatch "^WebDrive" redirect-carefully

BrowserMatch "^WebDAVFS/1.[0123]" redirect-carefully

BrowserMatch "^gnome-vfs/1.0" redirect-carefully

BrowserMatch "^XML Spy" redirect-carefully

BrowserMatch "^Dreamweaver-WebDAV-SCM1" redirect-carefully

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>

    ServerAdmin monk@buddistpalm.net

    DocumentRoot /var/www/html

    ServerName buddistpalm.net

    ErrorLog logs/buddispalm.net-error_log

    CustomLog logs/buddistpalm.net-access_log common

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>

    ServerAdmin monk@buddistpalm.net

    DocumentRoot /var/www/sillumutah

    ServerName sillumutah.com

    ServerAlias sillumutah.net

    ErrorLog logs/sillumutah.error_log

    CustomLog logs/sillumutah.access_log common

</VirtualHost>

Include /etc/httpd/conf/squirrelmail.conf

Include /etc/httpd/conf/toaster.conf

RE: [users@httpd] Resolve issue

Posted by Glen Vickers <ld...@xmission.com>.
Hey Glen,

On May 12, 2007, at 9:39 PM, Glen Vickers wrote:

> Someone please tell me what I'm missing.  I need to get paid! lol

That's great, can we have some too? lol

> Heres my resolv.conf
>

> search buddistpalm.net
>
> search sillumutah.com
>
> search sillumutah.net
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.10
>
> nameserver 198.60.22.2 (ISP name server)

Are these two in agreement over the zone data?  Do you have your own
definitions for those domains in your own DNS, or does it just query
the root servers for that like (I assume) your ISP's DNS would?

 From here:

[sctemme@graymalkin] sctemme $ dig a buddistpalm.net.
<..>
;; ANSWER SECTION:
buddistpalm.net.        3582    IN      CNAME   shaolin.buddistpalm.net.
shaolin.buddistpalm.net. 3582   IN      A       199.104.125.190
<..>
[sctemme@graymalkin] sctemme $ dig a sillumutah.com
<..>
;; ANSWER SECTION:
sillumutah.com.         3600    IN      CNAME   shaolin.sillumutah.com.
shaolin.sillumutah.com. 3600    IN      A       199.104.125.190
<..>

sillumutah.net does not resolve.

>  Here's my hosts file
>

> 192.168.1.10       shaolin  buddistpalm.net sillumutah.com
> sillumutah.net localhost.localdomain localhost

What has precedence on your client machine?

Seems to work OK from here, if Sil Lum Utah is indeed a club of
serious looking dudes in pajamas sporting hardware, and the other one
has Tigger holding up an Under Construction sign.

Your Apache config looks good, although you didn't have to post the
whole thing. The two VirtualHost declarations mean that all requests
with a corresponding Host: header end up at the respective vhost, and
requests that don't have a (matching) Host: header tend to land at
the top one.

How the client got to your server is really between it and the DNS,
or it and /etc/hosts if that has precedence. Apache has nothing to do
with that, it just responds to whatever arrives on its doorstep,
according to how the incoming requests express their destination
(using the Host: header).

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Thanks for that.  I know that hosts has precedence for now.  And yes I have
the zone data up on my machine correctly.  The .net not resolving is a host
issue with the source I bought the domain at.  I'm not too worried about
that part yet.  So why is it that you guys get the proper content on the
sillumutah.com and everyone around here that I've tried through including
the proxy I've tried don't get the site?  I'm not sure why that is.

Re: [users@httpd] Resolve issue

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
Hey Glen,

On May 12, 2007, at 9:39 PM, Glen Vickers wrote:

> Someone please tell me what I’m missing.  I need to get paid! lol

That's great, can we have some too? lol

> Heres my resolv.conf
>

> search buddistpalm.net
>
> search sillumutah.com
>
> search sillumutah.net
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.10
>
> nameserver 198.60.22.2 (ISP name server)

Are these two in agreement over the zone data?  Do you have your own
definitions for those domains in your own DNS, or does it just query
the root servers for that like (I assume) your ISP's DNS would?

 From here:

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.
Glen Vickers wrote:

> K I think I’ve narrowed it down a bit. I think my config is fine. My
> fault lies in my resolution I think. They all resolve to the same
> machine which is itself but it’s a hit and miss. It seems I get either
> the buddistpalm site or the sillum site but they don’t always point to
> their intended content….
>
> Someone please tell me what I’m missing. I need to get paid! lol
>
> Heres my resolv.conf
>
> search buddistpalm.net
>
> search sillumutah.com
>
> search sillumutah.net
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.10
>
> nameserver 198.60.22.2 (ISP name server)
>
> Here’s my hosts file
>
> 192.168.1.10 shaolin buddistpalm.net sillumutah.com sillumutah.net
> localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> And my config
>
> #
>
> # Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
>
> # ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
>
> # directive.
>
> #
>
> # Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
>
> # prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
>
> #
>
> #Listen 12.34.56.78:80
>
> Listen 192.168.1.10:80
>

> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>
> ServerAdmin monk@buddistpalm.net
>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html
>
> ServerName buddistpalm.net
>
> ErrorLog logs/buddispalm.net-error_log
>
> CustomLog logs/buddistpalm.net-access_log common
>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>
> ServerAdmin monk@buddistpalm.net
>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/sillumutah
>
> ServerName sillumutah.com
>
> ServerAlias sillumutah.net
>
> ErrorLog logs/sillumutah.error_log
>
> CustomLog logs/sillumutah.access_log common
>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Include /etc/httpd/conf/squirrelmail.conf
>
> Include /etc/httpd/conf/toaster.conf

Not really sure what the problem is but two things... from my configs I
have:

Listen 80

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
... site 1
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
... site 2
</VirtualHost>

...so try removing the ip address from Listen and NVH and remove the
port numbers from VH to see if it works. Especially if you are NOT 100%
the ip will never change. I have never had any issues. Have operated on
both direct connection and through a router without problems. Also
remenber, since you are using VHs then all sites have to be in VHs. Just
make sure that the default site you want someone to see if they come to
your machine via hxxp://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn (your ip) is the first VH in the
config.

Norm