Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Ahmad Alawsie <ah...@hotmail.com> on 2018/02/10 14:47:31 UTC

Pootle OpenOffice Server manager

Hi,

I am in contact with the Pootle team and in regards to bugs I have reported such as the “reviews” count not functioning, and so on, they have concluded that it could be down to the fact that I am using a different installation of Pootle. They have asked me to find out who the Pootle OpenOffice service manager is (the person who manages Pootle for OpenOffice), so they can discuss with them, as I have no control over the Pootle Service used by OpenOffice. Please get back to me soon, I would really appreciate that. The Pootle Gitter chat can be found at: https://gitter.im/translate/pootle and you can see that they have asked “OfficalAhmad” about who the service manager for Pootle on OpenOffice is, so they can discuss the bugs that I have raised. The reason to this is because they have concluded that the latest version of Pootle have fixed the bugs, but OpenOffice are using outdated version. Please get back to me soon.

Kind regards,

Ahmad A

Re: Pootle OpenOffice Server manager

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 10/02/2018 Ahmad Alawsie wrote:
> They have asked me to find out who the Pootle OpenOffice service manager is (the person who manages Pootle for OpenOffice)

Pootle works like all other services at the Apache Software Foundation.
I will give you all details here (as opposed to continuing the other
discussion) so that you have a complete picture, since I assume Pootle
is the first ASF (Apache Software Foundation) infrastructure you use.

- The software itself is developed by the Pootle developers (the Github
issue queue you posted to, and the Gitter support channels); we are just
users.

- The installation is done and maintained by the Infrastructure Team of
the Apache Software Foundation; they keep the software updated; when
there are security reasons they update quickly, when there are not
security reasons updates are less frequent. The Infrastructure Team is
capable of managing the installation and does not need external help.
Still, the team is very busy and it is normal that low-priority issues
are kept in queue. Also, the answer you get from the Pootle developers
is along the lines of "we did a lot of fixes recently" and not really to
the point.

- Then there are the people like me and you; we are just users of the
service. I do have administrative access to the installation, but still
I cannot do a system upgrade.

In the end, this now depends on Infra. We are running version 2.5.1.3
from 2015, as you can read at https://translate.apache.org/about/ - and
as you can see at
https://github.com/translate/pootle/releases?after=2.7.1 upgrading is a
lot of work, since you have to go to 2.6.0 first and then upgrade again
to 2.8.2. I've opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16020
as a low-priority task for Infra, but I'm not sure when they will have
time for it.

> the latest version of Pootle have fixed the bugs, but OpenOffice are using outdated version.

It's not only OpenOffice. OpenOffice is one of the 100+ projects managed
by the Apache Software Foundation. The Pootle installation is shared by
all projects, so upgrading it needs a lot of coordination.

Regards,
   Andrea.