Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org> on 2006/08/11 23:50:52 UTC

Word doc spam

One of those "approved invoice" Word doc spams just slipped by Postini
into my work mailbox.

Thinking Antiword, while lightweight compared to OOo, is still too
heavy a solution, I threw the .doc file at the strings command, and
got the following:

$ strings invoice.doc
bjbjqPqP
Back2School Software Blowout Sale!
Stop overpaying for software.
Buy OEM Software today, Download INSTANTLY &
 HYPERLINK "http://temnieprogi.com"
Save Over 85%!
Microsoft Office 2003 Professional
w/Contact Manager
Windows XP Professional
Includes Service Pack 1
Adobe Photoshop CS2 v 9.0
#1 Rated Photo Editing software
Adobe Acrobat Professional v 7.0
Essential for Web Documents
Retail Price @ Staples: $549.95
Exclusive Sale Price: $69.95
Retail Price @ Staples: $249.95
Exclusive Sale Price: $49.95
Retail Price @ Staples: $599.95
Exclusive Sale Price: $69.95
Retail Price @ Staples: $449.95
Exclusive Sale Price: $69.95
 HYPERLINK "http://temnieprogi.com"
Visit our Website and get yours today!
ph333
hRy:
ph333
urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags
City
urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags
place
SAVE YOUR BUSINESS
William Esther
Normal
William Esther
Microsoft Office Word
Phoenix Management Corporation
SAVE YOUR BUSINESS
Title
_PID_HLINKS
Microsoft Office Word Document
MSWordDoc
Word.Document.8
Phoenix Management Corporation
SAVE YOUR BUSINESS
Title
_PID_HLINKS

*plenty* of fodder. I'm thinking we don't need Antiword or (shudder)
OOo to peer into Word docs to do spam filtering. Just pull the strings
out and run the regular body rules over 'em.

Of course, this might not be robust in the face of simple tricks like
boldfacing every other word, font changes, etc., so Antiword might be
the lightest tool we can use and get reliable results.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org

Re: Word doc spam

Posted by decoder <de...@own-hero.net>.

John D. Hardin wrote:
> One of those "approved invoice" Word doc spams just slipped by Postini
> into my work mailbox.
>
> Thinking Antiword, while lightweight compared to OOo, is still too
> heavy a solution, I threw the .doc file at the strings command, and
> got the following:
>
> $ strings invoice.doc
> bjbjqPqP
> Back2School Software Blowout Sale!
> Stop overpaying for software.
> Buy OEM Software today, Download INSTANTLY &
>  HYPERLINK "http://temnieprogi.com"
> Save Over 85%!
> Microsoft Office 2003 Professional
> w/Contact Manager
> Windows XP Professional
> Includes Service Pack 1
> Adobe Photoshop CS2 v 9.0
> #1 Rated Photo Editing software
> Adobe Acrobat Professional v 7.0
> Essential for Web Documents
> Retail Price @ Staples: $549.95
> Exclusive Sale Price: $69.95
> Retail Price @ Staples: $249.95
> Exclusive Sale Price: $49.95
> Retail Price @ Staples: $599.95
> Exclusive Sale Price: $69.95
> Retail Price @ Staples: $449.95
> Exclusive Sale Price: $69.95
>  HYPERLINK "http://temnieprogi.com"
> Visit our Website and get yours today!
> ph333
> hRy:
> ph333
> urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags
> City
> urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags
> place
> SAVE YOUR BUSINESS
> William Esther
> Normal
> William Esther
> Microsoft Office Word
> Phoenix Management Corporation
> SAVE YOUR BUSINESS
> Title
> _PID_HLINKS
> Microsoft Office Word Document
> MSWordDoc
> Word.Document.8
> Phoenix Management Corporation
> SAVE YOUR BUSINESS
> Title
> _PID_HLINKS
>
> *plenty* of fodder. I'm thinking we don't need Antiword or (shudder)
> OOo to peer into Word docs to do spam filtering. Just pull the strings
> out and run the regular body rules over 'em.
>
> Of course, this might not be robust in the face of simple tricks like
> boldfacing every other word, font changes, etc., so Antiword might be
> the lightest tool we can use and get reliable results.

Sounds good, I also received one of these today... does a plugin exist
already which uses antiword somehow to filter these mails?

Chris