Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/01 00:00:32 UTC

Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.

I'm sorry. The earlier maven-assembly-plugin.patch had a whole
directory that had gone missing.

Here is the patch again.

Thanks djencks for catching it.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Inline -

On 6/30/06, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> inline..
>
> --- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > 1. Our pom.xml first lists all and only geronimo modules, configs and
> > apps as dependencies. The transitive deps are taken care of by m-a-p.
>
>    In a perfect M2 world just using configs as dependencies should be
> enough. The modules should come as transitive dependencies. I am not
> sure if this is possible with the existing InstallConfig.

Your are right.. Existing "installConfig" does care of installing the
module binaries of the configs.  But since I am currently handicapped
with an unsuccessful build, I don't know if all the modules are
installed as a part of the config dependencies. So if that is a
redundant step we may eliminate those modules that are installed as
config dependencies into the "repository" directory

Note that we still need to list those modules that are copied into the
lib, lib/ext, lib/ext/endorsed dirs. We should also list the modules
for schemas.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
The maven-assembly-plugin throws an error when it can't find a pom,
more so a valid 4.0.0 pom.

It fails at the very first error. So I had to sift thro each error by
commenting out the artifact that depends on that pom. I got till
tranql-1.4-SNAPSHOT.  I gave up sifting further because, for one,
tranql's groupId has changed to org.tranql but that is not published
yet.  I hope there aren't any more bad/missing poms after tranql.

Here are the missing/invalid poms along with the geronimo artifacts
that I had to comment out in ( ) -

( geronimo-directory )
Project: directory-protocols:ldap-protocol
POM Location: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.m2\repository\directory-p
rotocols\ldap-protocol\0.9.2\ldap-protocol-0.9.2.pom
Reason: Not a v4.0.0 POM.

( geronimo-tomcat )
File C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.m2\repository\tomcat\catalina\5.5.
15\catalina-5.5.15.pom does not exist

( geronimo-tomcat )
( geronimo-jetty )
( geronimo-jetty-builder )
File C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.m2\repository\tomcat\jasper-compil
er\5.5.15\jasper-compiler-5.5.15.pom does not exist

( geronimo-axis )
( geronimo-axis-builder )
File C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.m2\repository\commons-discovery\co
mmons-discovery\0.2-dev\commons-discovery-0.2-dev.pom does not exist

( geronimo-connector )
( geronimo-connector-builder )
Project ID: tranql:tranql
POM Location: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.m2\repository\tranql\tran
ql\1.4-SNAPSHOT\tranql-1.4-SNAPSHOT.pom
Reason: Not a v4.0.0 POM.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Inline -

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
>> Why can't the dependency plugin be used to install the car files?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by the dependency plugin.

http://mojo.codehaus.org/dependency-maven-plugin/

It basically handles copying (or unpacking) artifacts and their
dependencies to somewhere other than the repo cache.

> I haven't thought through yet whether using maven dependencies to
> determine what to copy to the repo is likely to work.  The reason
> it's not obvious is that we have a different classloader structure
> than maven, and 2 ways of getting most jars onto the classpath:
> either include the jar directly or import a car that has the jar in
> its classpath.  These have very different effects on how many
> copies of the jar are in use, hence on whether you will get
> surprising class cast exceptions.  When we are building, first we
> built all the jars so there's no chance to use a car just to get a
> set of dependencies into  the classpath as we do in runtime.

Hrm... to bad we don't use ClassWorlds and then just expose the
classworld config... oh well :-(

> I'm not completely sure how it will work out but I think it likely
> that just using the maven  dependencies (if we can get them
> accurate) will supply the correct set of dependencies intalled into
> the g. repo.  It's certainly worth some experimentation.

It sounds like the Maven depends should be sufficient.

--jason

Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 30, 2006, at 9:24 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Why can't the dependency plugin be used to install the car files?

I'm not sure what you mean by the dependency plugin.  If you mean the
m assembly plugin, one thing it has to do is unpack the car.  I don't
know if this is possible.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
inline..

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Inline -

On 7/1/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> Aight... well lets get it working asis for now...
>
> I think we don't need to run the assembly plugin twice to get to the
> same place, but we can fix that once something is working.

I spoke to Jesse about this problem and how we can fix this. His
suggestion was to use the 2 step execution rather than fix the m-a-p
to exclude those jars.

There is already a <includeMetataData> in the assembly descriptor
which excludes the metadata.xml files that get generated in the repo.
IMO, a similar flag to exclude the META-INF/maven would be nicer.

> --jason

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Anita, I don't think we should exclude the jars from including the
META-INF/maven dirs while being created. These jars end up in the
maven repo locally and remotely. They must be there for some reason.

We must exclude them from being extracted. This is what the 2 step
execution aims to acheive.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Jeff,
   THANKS!

Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.