Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Marko Bauhardt <mb...@media-style.com> on 2006/03/07 19:33:37 UTC

hidden classes in package mapred and dfs

Hi all,
i noticed that some classes like

+ DataNodeInfo
+ DFSClient
+ DistributedFileSystem (incl. method getClient())
+ JobInProgress
+ JobProfile
+ JobStatus
+ JobTrackerInfoServer
+ TaskTrackerStatus

are hidden for classes outside the package mapred and dfs. Exists a
specified reason why this classes are hidden?

Marko

Re: hidden classes in package mapred and dfs

Posted by Marko Bauhardt <mb...@media-style.com>.
Am 07.03.2006 um 19:43 schrieb Doug Cutting:

> These are implementation classes, and their use should not be
> required outside of the package.  Why do you need to access them?
> If there is a good reason, then we should add public APIs to
> support that use.

I work at the nutch gui and it would be great when i have access to
this classes, because a statistic about the datanodes, tasktracker,
jobs etc. would be nice.

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
Doug,
Am 07.03.2006 um 19:43 schrieb Doug Cutting:
>   If there is a good reason, then we should add public APIs to
> support that use.
DFS InfoServer ala JobtrackerInfo Server, is  that sounds like a good
reason? :-)
http://www.media-style.com/gfx/nutchadmin/systemStatus.html

Stefan

Re: hidden classes in package mapred and dfs

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Marko Bauhardt wrote:
> Hi all,
> i noticed that some classes like
>
> + DataNodeInfo
> + DFSClient
> + DistributedFileSystem (incl. method getClient())
> + JobInProgress
> + JobProfile
> + JobStatus
> + JobTrackerInfoServer
> + TaskTrackerStatus
>
> are hidden for classes outside the package mapred and dfs. Exists a
> specified reason why this classes are hidden?

These are implementation classes, and their use should not be required
outside of the package.  Why do you need to access them?  If there is a
good reason, then we should add public APIs to support that use.

Doug