Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Adaryl Wakefield <ad...@hotmail.com> on 2017/03/22 07:08:23 UTC

kafka and spark integration

I'm a little confused on how to use Kafka and Spark together. Where exactly does Spark lie in the architecture? Does it sit on the other side of the Kafka producer? Does it feed the consumer? Does it pull from the consumer?

Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA
Principal
Mass Street Analytics, LLC
913.938.6685
www.massstreet.net<http://www.massstreet.net>
www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba<http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba>
Twitter: @BobLovesData

Re: kafka and spark integration

Posted by Didac Gil <di...@gmail.com>.
Spark can be a consumer and a producer from the Kafka point of view.

You can create a kafka client in Spark that registers to a topic and reads the feeds, and you can process data in Spark and generate a producer that sends that data into a topic.
So, Spark lies next to Kafka and you can use Kafka as a channel to collect and send the data.

That’s what I am doing, at least.