Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2003/12/20 14:52:41 UTC

Post 1.2.0 [was 1.2.0 Release Plan]

David Graham wrote:
> --- Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>So, there were a few more outstanding reports that I thought we would
>>have.
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/ysx3x
>

> Notice that 12 of the 29 bugs are custom tag related proving once again
> how badly we need to move them into their own distro.

Post 1.2.0, I'd like to look at revamping the website (keeping Maven in
mind of course) to separate the "core" documentation from the "taglib"
documentation (which is mainly the Developer Guides anyway). We should
probably add an area for "contrib" as well. (A better name for "contrib"
might be "opt", as in optional components.)

Essentially, we would start looking like Turbine or Jakarta itself,
where there is a portal page with links to various sub-projects. (Or in
our case, sub-sub-projects.)

One question would be whether core, taglibs, contrib, and site should
each have their own repository, so instead of just jakarta-struts, we'd
have jakarta-struts-core, jakarta-struts-taglib, jakarta-struts-apps,
jakarta-struts-opt (fka "contrib"), and jakarta-struts-site.

Obviously, before actually doing that, we should first decide if it's
time to apply for TLP status. (I believe Martin plans to post something
once 1.2.0 rolls.) But regardless of whether the repositories are styled
jakarta-struts-* or apache-struts-*, we can decide if we would want
these repositories or not.

There are a few advantages to separate repos:

(1) Each repository can have it own set of Committers
(2) Bandwidth is conserved for developers who are not interested in
every area
(3) It plays well with Maven

and disadvantages as well:

(1) We'd have to do the work to make the change
(2) We'd have to add Committers to more than one repo to give them
access to everything
(3) If you're working on everything, you'd have to make more than one
checkout to stay current with everything

An alternative would be to keep one repository, but to organize it so
that each area has a top-level directory.

Of course, we can start revamping the website before committing to any
repository changes, just to see how it would look.

-Ted.