Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by juan <jj...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/15 14:57:00 UTC

Mixed User Session

Hi,

We were running tomcat 8.5.57 on CentOS 7 and together with CAS SSO, we
have multiple servers behind an AWS load balancer setup with sticky
sessions. We encountered a weird situation where a user who logged into
their application was presented with another users profile after login. Has
anyone encountered something similar to this? Both users hit the same
tomcat server seconds apart and the user was on his personal computer and
doesn't know the first user.

We have async-supported set to true for both default and jsp servlets and
using the http11.Http11NioProtocol connector with
sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.OpenSSLImplementation"
and <UpgradeProtocol className="org.apache.coyote.http2.Http2Protocol" />.
Unfortunately we could not find any errors in the logs.

We encountered something similar in the past when running on tomcat 8.0 and
it was related to low entropy on the environment and tomcat not able to
generate a session for the incoming user and reusing the jsessionid for a
previous user.  We did see errors for this in the logs. This was fixed by
adding service to increase entropy and upgrading to a later version of
tomcat 8.5.

Any suggestions or help is much appreciated regarding logging that might
help shed some light on this. We have also patched tomcat to that lastest
release 8.5.61 to see if it helps.

Thanks!

Juan Q.

Re: Mixed User Session

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Juan,

> Juan,
>
> On 1/15/21 09:57, juan wrote:
>> We were running tomcat 8.5.57 on CentOS 7 and together with CAS SSO, we
>> have multiple servers behind an AWS load balancer setup with sticky
>> sessions. We encountered a weird situation where a user who logged into
>> their application was presented with another users profile after
>> login. Has
>> anyone encountered something similar to this? Both users hit the same
>> tomcat server seconds apart and the user was on his personal computer and
>> doesn't know the first user.

I forgot to ask a few things about this:

1. Is this reproducible? How many cases of this have you encountered?

2. Is your application holding on to references to request/response
beyond the end of a request?

Usually this kind of thing happens when applications are misusing those
objects by retaining references.

>> We have async-supported set to true for both default and jsp servlets and
>> using the http11.Http11NioProtocol connector with
>> sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.OpenSSLImplementation"
>>
>> and <UpgradeProtocol className="org.apache.coyote.http2.Http2Protocol"
>> />.

Are you actually using servlet-async features? They are very tricky use
correctly without any mistakes.

-chris

Re: Mixed User Session

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Juan,

On 1/15/21 09:57, juan wrote:
> We were running tomcat 8.5.57 on CentOS 7 and together with CAS SSO, we
> have multiple servers behind an AWS load balancer setup with sticky
> sessions. We encountered a weird situation where a user who logged into
> their application was presented with another users profile after login. Has
> anyone encountered something similar to this? Both users hit the same
> tomcat server seconds apart and the user was on his personal computer and
> doesn't know the first user.
>
> We have async-supported set to true for both default and jsp servlets and
> using the http11.Http11NioProtocol connector with
> sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.OpenSSLImplementation"
> and <UpgradeProtocol className="org.apache.coyote.http2.Http2Protocol" />.
> Unfortunately we could not find any errors in the logs.

Are you using h2 as a protocol between the AWS lb and Tomcat, or are you
using HTTP? Or, are you using a network load balancer which just allows
bytes to flow back and forth without actually proxying HTTP(2)?

I'm assuming you have:

HTTP(2) -> ELB/ALB -> HTTP -> Tomcat

I just want to check to see if h2 is actually being used by Tomcat.

If h2 is being used as a proxy protocol, do you know if you are using h2
or h2c (non-encrypted)?

Just trying to narrow things down.

> We encountered something similar in the past when running on tomcat 8.0 and
> it was related to low entropy on the environment and tomcat not able to
> generate a session for the incoming user and reusing the jsessionid for a
> previous user.  We did see errors for this in the logs. This was fixed by
> adding service to increase entropy and upgrading to a later version of
> tomcat 8.5.

That sounds suspicious to me. If you don't have sufficient entropy, you
should get very slow response times, but no re-use of session identifiers.

> Any suggestions or help is much appreciated regarding logging that might
> help shed some light on this. We have also patched tomcat to that lastest
> release 8.5.61 to see if it helps.

Can you please post your entire <Connector> element from
conf/server.xml? Remove any sensitive information that may be present.

-chris

Re: Mixed User Session

Posted by juan <jj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Below is the connector definition, we had 1 case reported that we know of
but during the reported incident couldn't find anything in the logs during
the transactions.  We haven't been able to reproduce the issue.  We do have
another environment that was added into the mix and handles the
authentication piece. So we receive information back from them which
provides the necessary data to CAS SSO to send to the client app that
initiated the request.  We did have conversations with them and they did
mention the possibility of session information for another user being
provided back.  We installed haveged to help us have sufficient entropy.
When we first encountered something like we handled authentication locally
on the environment and we saw errors in the tomcat logs, this time
authentication is handled externally and there are no errors found in the
log.

<Connector port="443" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"

sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.OpenSSLImplementation"
    SSLEnabled="true" maxHttpHeaderSize="40960" connectionTimeout="20000"
maxThreads="450">
    <SSLHostConfig

ciphers="ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-RSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384"
        honorCipherOrder="true" protocols="TLSv1.2"
        disableSessionTickets="true">
        <Certificate
            certificateKeystoreFile="xxxxx"
            certificateKeystorePassword="xxxxxxx"
            type="RSA" />
    </SSLHostConfig>
    <UpgradeProtocol className="org.apache.coyote.http2.Http2Protocol" />
</Connector>

Thanks!

Re: Mixed User Session

Posted by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de>.