Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2011/07/30 01:22:12 UTC

non-reproducible issues on CI

Hi!

Our CI is broken since a while and most of the errors are of the following kind:

[ERROR] Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-repository-plugin:2.3.2-SNAPSHOT or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Failed to read artifact descriptor for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-repository-plugin:jar:2.3.2-SNAPSHOT: Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-repository-plugin:pom:2.3.2-SNAPSHOT in /home/hudson/hudson-slave/workspace/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/maven-repository-plugin/target/it-repo was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of local.central has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginResolutionException: Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-repository-plugin:2.3.2-SNAPSHOT or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Failed to read artifact descriptor for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-repository-plugin:jar:2.3.2-SNAPSHOT
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.internal.DefaultPluginDependenciesResolver.resolve(DefaultPluginDependenciesResolver.java:129)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.internal.DefaultMavenPluginManager.getPluginDescriptor(DefaultMavenPluginManager.java:142)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.internal.DefaultMavenPluginManager.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultMavenPluginManager.java:261)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:185)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoDescriptorCreator.getMojoDescriptor(MojoDescriptorCreator.java:235)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.DefaultLifecycleTaskSegmentCalculator.calculateTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleTaskSegmentCalculator.java:106)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.DefaultLifecycleTaskSegmentCalculator.calculateTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleTaskSegmentCalculator.java:86)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:98)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:319)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:156)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:290)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:230)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:409)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:352)
Caused by: org.sonatype.aether.resolution.ArtifactDescriptorException: Failed to read artifact descriptor for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-repository-plugin:jar:2.3.2-SNAPSHOT
	at org.apache.maven.repository.internal.DefaultArtifactDescriptorReader.loadPom(DefaultArtifactDescriptorReader.java:282)
	at org.apache.maven.repository.internal.DefaultArtifactDescriptorReader.readArtifactDescriptor(DefaultArtifactDescriptorReader.java:172)
	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultRepositorySystem.readArtifactDescriptor(DefaultRepositorySystem.java:316)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.internal.DefaultPluginDependenciesResolver.resolve(DefaultPluginDependenciesResolver.java:115)
	... 20 more
Caused by: org.sonatype.aether.resolution.ArtifactResolutionException: Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-repository-plugin:pom:2.3.2-SNAPSHOT in /home/hudson/hudson-slave/workspace/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/maven-repository-plugin/target/it-repo was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of local.central has elapsed or updates are forced
	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:541)
	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifacts(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:220)
	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifact(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:197)
	at org.apache.maven.repository.internal.DefaultArtifactDescriptorReader.loadPom(DefaultArtifactDescriptorReader.java:267)
	... 23 more
Caused by: org.sonatype.aether.transfer.ArtifactNotFoundException: Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-repository-plugin:pom:2.3.2-SNAPSHOT in /home/hudson/hudson-slave/workspace/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/maven-repository-plugin/target/it-repo was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of local.central has elapsed or updates are forced
	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultUpdateCheckManager.checkArtifact(DefaultUpdateCheckManager.java:190)
	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:430)
	... 26 more

Here is the full story:

https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/ws/maven-repository-plugin/target/surefire-reports/org.apache.maven.plugins.repository.it.BundleCreateIT.txt

The weird thing is that this artifact exists:
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/ws/maven-repository-plugin/target/it-repo/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-repository-plugin/2.3.2-SNAPSHOT/

We (rfscholte nor I) cannot reproduce those bugs locally. All the tests just run fine here.
Is there some magic switch we need to set in Jenkins, or is this a real bug?

txs and LieGrue,
strub

RE: non-reproducible issues on CI

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Martin!

Good idea basically.
But nope, both snapshots and releases are set to true.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Mark-
..do you have snapshots enabled false for your repository..e.g
<repositories>
 <repository>
 <snapshots>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
 </snapshots>
 </repository>
</repositories>
Liebe GruBe
Martin
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi!

I'll try to reproduce it on the weekend.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
These jobs should use a custom repo. Trusting the built-in Jenkins
repo is not wise when testing maven. It's just a checkbox in the job
config.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2011-07-30 10:54, Mark Struberg wrote:
> Might be if the metadata got downloaded but the artifact (a fat jar for example) didn't make it?
>
> I bet there are situations where such things still might end ugly.
>
> Just for the record: I'm currently looking at maven-repository-plugin BundleCreateIT#createWithSCMInfoProvided().
> It looks like this issue only hits ITs.
>
> Here is the local IT repo on our CI box:
> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/ws/maven-repository-plugin/target/it-repo/
>
> A comparison of the artifacts I get locally shows that commons-cli-1.0 and commons-lang-2.1 don't make it on the CI box.
>

> I'll try to ping infra and get drop them from our jenkins repo cache.

That should be directed to builds@a.o
I'm a recent subscriber there, so I can ask them.

> LieGrue,
> strub

Dennis Lundberg

Re: non-reproducible issues on CI

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

On 2011-07-30 01:22, Mark Struberg wrote:
> [...]
> 	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultUpdateCheckManager.checkArtifact(DefaultUpdateCheckManager.java:190)
> 	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:430)
> 	... 26 more
>

> Here is the full story:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/ws/maven-repository-plugin/target/surefire-reports/org.apache.maven.plugins.repository.it.BundleCreateIT.txt
>
> The weird thing is that this artifact exists:
> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/ws/maven-repository-plugin/target/it-repo/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-repository-plugin/2.3.2-SNAPSHOT/
>

> We (rfscholte nor I) cannot reproduce those bugs locally. All the tests just run fine here.
> Is there some magic switch we need to set in Jenkins, or is this a real bug?

Dennis Lundberg

Re: non-reproducible issues on CI

Posted by Andrew Waterman <an...@gmail.com>.
I think I've seen a similar error come up on a few boxes of my own. I think it has something to do with the "lastUpdated" terminator in your repository.  I've had some success removing this off of POMs that wouldn't download.  Alternatively, nuking the repository might help.

My two cents.

Andrew

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi

Mark and I spent yesterday trying to figure out what is going on with
this failing build. Here are our finding this far for
maven-repository-plugin.

1. maven-invoker-plugin is used to install the current artifact
(maven-repository-plugin) into a special repository used by the ITs,
namely target/it-repo. The ITs are set up with their own repo so that
the users local repository is not messed with.

2. maven-repository-collector-plugin is used to resolve the current
artifact's (maven-repository-plugin) dependencies from the local
repository to target/it-repo.

3. maven-surefire-plugin is used to run the ITs. When doing this it sets
a system property maven.repo.local and points that to target/it-repo.

When this is run with Maven 3.0.3 on the command line like this:
  mvn clean verify -Prun-its
all is well and the ITs pass.

When this is run with Maven 3.0.3 on the command line like this:
  mvn clean verify -Prun-its -Dmaven.repo.local=/local/repository
the build fails because it cannot find maven-repository-plugin in the
local repository.

This is the way the CI builds are run, but it can be reproduced locally
by adding the extra command line parameter.

What seems to happening in that the -Dmaven.local.repository command
line parameter overrides the system property set for the Surefire
Plugin. Thus making maven-surefire-plugin look for
maven-repository-plugin in the wrong repository (/local/repository).

Does anyone have ideas how we can solve this?

On 2011-07-30 01:22, Mark Struberg wrote:
> [...]
> 	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultUpdateCheckManager.checkArtifact(DefaultUpdateCheckManager.java:190)
> 	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:430)
> 	... 26 more
>

> Here is the full story:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/ws/maven-repository-plugin/target/surefire-reports/org.apache.maven.plugins.repository.it.BundleCreateIT.txt
>
> The weird thing is that this artifact exists:
> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/ws/maven-repository-plugin/target/it-repo/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-repository-plugin/2.3.2-SNAPSHOT/
>

> We (rfscholte nor I) cannot reproduce those bugs locally. All the tests just run fine here.
> Is there some magic switch we need to set in Jenkins, or is this a real bug?

Dennis Lundberg