Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/11 19:19:49 UTC

Regarding participation in GSOC 2017 - Apache Mahout

Hello all !

I'm a senior year undergraduate student majoring in Computer Science. I
intend to be a part of the Apache Software Foundation and would love to
start my journey through the Google Summer of Code this summer.

Particularly, I am interested in contributing to Apache's scalable machine
learning framework, Mahout. I have contacted members of Apache Mahout and
would love to contribute to Mahout this summer. Although, in the ideas page
(apache's issues page) I wasn't able to find any Mahout related issue. I
know that in general new ideas / new proposals (apart from those listed in
the Ideas page) are encouraged. But just wanted check with the
administration in ASF who are involved with GSoC this season.

Best Regards,
Aditya

Re: Regarding participation in GSOC 2017 - Apache Mahout

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
Trevor,

The student needs to submit a proposal for GSOC on the official GSOC
website and compete with all others for the spots that will be assigned to
ASF.
If your project wants to propose an idea for GSOC, record that in JIRA and
add gsoc2017 as a label, so it is listed in the list of ideas from ASF.

If you want to become a mentor for GSOC, you should first subscribe to
mentors@community.apache.org by sending an email to
mentors-subscribe@community.apache.org- use an email address connected to
your apache id.

In order to receive the official invitation to become a mentor for Mahout
for GSOC you need to get acknowledged as a committer "in good standing"
with the project. For that you have to send an email to the Mahout PMC
list, cc-ed to mentors@community.apache.org to be acknowledged as a
committer in good standing  Sample email below:

to private@mahout.apache.org <pr...@systemml.incubator.apache.org>
cc mentors@community.apache.org

subject: GSOC mentor request for [your name here]

Hi [Apache project PMC],

Please acknowledge my request to become a mentor for Google Summer of Code
2017 for [Apache project] (by replying to all with an ACK message).

I would like to receive the mentor invite at [email address connected to a
Gmail account]

Once someone on the private@mahout replies (to private@mahout and
mentors@community) with an acknowledgement (you can ack yourself as member
of PMC), the Apache system admin for GSOC, which is on the
mentors@community.a.o list will send you a mentor invite

Below is a message sent some time ago with useful info for GSOC:

Posted by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Wilford <to...@gmail.com>.
Please somebody take me off this list

Hello all again!