Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com> on 2001/06/28 14:19:48 UTC

Stability: Cocoon 1 vs Cocoon 2

Hi,

What recommendations would people give to someone looking to
start a new Cocoon project. Presumably Cocoon 1 is still the
stabler platform at this stage?

Has anyone gone through migrating a project from C1 to C2, and
if so what problems/difficulties did you encounter? Was it an
easy transition.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Systems Architect       | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"

AW: Stability: Cocoon 1 vs Cocoon 2

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Eduardo Yánez wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Cocoon 1.8.2 is a pretty stable version but its foundation is
> DOM, so if you
> want to develop a site where the responses can be big the site
> answers will
> be slow and the memory requirements can be big also.
>
> Cocoon 2 is in alpha version yet (almost a beta), but its
> foundation is SAX,
> it is faster (very much faster!) and can handle very large responses with
> low memory requirements. It manages new technologies like SVG so you can
> forget about doing images for site´s menus (cocoon 2 make them for you!).

Cocoon 2 is beta since some weeks. If you wish to test C2, I would suggest
to use the beta 1 which can be downloaded as a distribution.

Carsten

RE: Stability: Cocoon 1 vs Cocoon 2

Posted by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com>.
So I think I'd say that a fair assessment is that anyone looking
to get to grips with the Cocoon framework would do well to
start with C1 (its easier to started), but would do
well to switch to C2 due its better speed, but not until the development
has progressed much further.

Anyone disagree?

L.