Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Anton Ivanov <ai...@ispheres.com> on 2001/05/01 00:26:28 UTC

general/7661: Apache/JServ fails to start intermittently with a fatal error

>Number:         7661
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache/JServ fails to start intermittently with a fatal error
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Apache/JServ fail to start intermittently with the error message:
 [Wed Apr 25 16:25:38 2001] [crit] Apache JServ encountered a fatal error; check
your ApJServLogFile for details if none are present in this file.  Exiting.

However, the file designated by the ApJServLogFile directive does not contain anything.  (I built it with --disable-debugging, but wouldn't fatal errors show up?) I noticed that the problem will occur several times in a row, and then things will work several times in a row.  "Working" means apache started and the JServ status URL worked.  However, whenever the server "worked", the following line would appear in the log file:
[Mon Apr 30 14:45:39 2001] [error] (22)Invalid argument: shmctl() could not set
segment #3204

I tried truss'ing the httpd process when it failed to start, but didn't spot anything out-of-the ordinary.
>How-To-Repeat:
build apache on HP-UX 11.00 with
./configure --prefix=... --enable-shared=max
and JServ with
./configure \
  --prefix=... \
  --with-apxs=... \
  --with-jdk-home=... \
  --with-JSDK=<path to JSDK 2.0 "jsdk.jar"> \
  --disable-debugging

and restart apache a dozen times.

 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]