Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andreas Guther <An...@markettools.com> on 2006/08/24 21:35:08 UTC

SNAPSHOT Deploy

Question: How can I get Maven to deploy version-less SNAPSHOT files to
our SNAPSHOT repository?

Background:
It appears to me as if the "mvn deploy" command on a SNAPSHOT version
does only deploy numbered snapshot files, but not unnumbered ones. The
"mvn install" command in contrary puts an unnumbered SNAPSHOT file in my
local repository.

- I get i18n-4.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar in my local repository with mvn install
- I get i18n-4.0.0-20060811.001428-3.jar in my configured SNAPSHOT
repository

What I would like to have is an unnumbered (i18n-4.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar) jar
file in our company SNAPSHOT server in addition to the numbered one.

Is there a way to convince Maven to deploy an unnumbered jar file into
the SNAPSHOT repository?

Thanks in advance for any hint or help.

Andreas

Re: SNAPSHOT Deploy

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/06, Andreas Guther <An...@markettools.com> wrote:
> Question: How can I get Maven to deploy version-less SNAPSHOT files to
> our SNAPSHOT repository?
>
> Background:
> It appears to me as if the "mvn deploy" command on a SNAPSHOT version
> does only deploy numbered snapshot files, but not unnumbered ones. The
> "mvn install" command in contrary puts an unnumbered SNAPSHOT file in my
> local repository.
>
> - I get i18n-4.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar in my local repository with mvn install
> - I get i18n-4.0.0-20060811.001428-3.jar in my configured SNAPSHOT
> repository

Maven takes care of all this for you.  You do not need to care that
there is no -SNAPSHOT on the remote repository (which is not needed
anyway)

If you check out the meta data it lists all the versions and what the
correct latest version is.

For an artifact my.group:artifactId which is laid out on the file system as:
http://NUCLEUS/path/to/repo/group/my/atifactId

You will see the following:
- <version directories> e.g. 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT
- maven-metadata.xml
- maven-metadata.xml.md5
- maven-metadata.xml.sha1

In maven-metadata is all the information maven needs in order to
download the latest snapshot version and to install it into your local
repository as -SNAPSHOT.