Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/09/28 04:19:50 UTC

Most requested AOO translations

I looked at the download statistics for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0.
Although the numbers are much smaller than the AOO 3.4.x downloads, we
still get a steady stream of 3.3.0 download requests.

Why?  Mainly to cover languages not supported yet in AOO.

Specifically, these are the top most requested downloads for OOo 3.3.0:

1.	OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install_da.exe
2.	OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_nb.exe
3.	OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install_nb.exe
4.	OOo_3.3.0_MacOS_x86_install_nb.dmg
5.	OOo_3.3.0_MacOS_x86_install_da.dmg

So Danish and Norwegian Bokmål.

Looking at Pootle, Danish is at 97% and Norwegian is at 98%.  So both
are very close.

Any ideas on where we could find volunteers to help finish these
translations?  I'd love to be able to have refreshed release of AOO
3.4.1, with these languages added, as well as others that are complete
or nearly complete, like Scots Gaelic and Indonesian.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Most requested AOO translations

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ar...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:19:50PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I looked at the download statistics for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0.
>> Although the numbers are much smaller than the AOO 3.4.x downloads, we
>> still get a steady stream of 3.3.0 download requests.
>>
>> Why?  Mainly to cover languages not supported yet in AOO.
>>
>> Specifically, these are the top most requested downloads for OOo 3.3.0:
>>
>> 1.    OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install_da.exe
>> 2.    OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_nb.exe
>> 3.    OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install_nb.exe
>> 4.    OOo_3.3.0_MacOS_x86_install_nb.dmg
>> 5.    OOo_3.3.0_MacOS_x86_install_da.dmg
>>

>> So Danish and Norwegian Bokmål.
>>
>> Looking at Pootle, Danish is at 97% and Norwegian is at 98%.  So both
>> are very close.
>>
>> Any ideas on where we could find volunteers to help finish these
>> translations?
>
> We could start with our own social media, and pages:
> http://www.openoffice.org/da/
> http://www.openoffice.org/no/ (I didn't find "nb", just "no")
>
> Their content is rather old, and offering the old version. May be we can
> put a banner, even in English, asking for help to translate the brand
> new version to their language.

Let's give that a try.

I've added a paragraph at the start of those home pages asking for volunteers:

http://www.openoffice.org/no/

http://www.openoffice.org/da/

Each page gets around 2000 visits per day.  So this could be a good
way to find volunteers.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.