Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Jim Talbut <jt...@spudsoft.co.uk> on 2009/09/28 17:03:06 UTC

Jetty handlers and CXF

Hi,

Continuing with my Jetty servers inside Tomcat I've been trying to get
request logging working on the Jetty side.

I've got this in my beans.xml:
     <httpj:engine-factory bus="cxf" id="jetty-factory">
         <httpj:engine port="8009">
             <httpj:tlsServerParametersRef id="secure" />
             <httpj:threadingParameters minThreads="1" maxThreads="5"  />
             <httpj:handlers>
                 <bean class="org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RequestLogHandler" >
                     <property name="requestLog">
                         <bean class="org.mortbay.jetty.NCSARequestLog">
                             <property name="filename"
value="/usr/share/apache-tomcat/logs/jetty-request.log.yyyy_mm_dd"/>
                         </bean>
                     </property>
                 </bean>
                 <bean class="org.mortbay.jetty.handler.DefaultHandler"/>
             </httpj:handlers>
         </httpj:engine>
     </httpj:engine-factory>

but I'm not clear on where CXF fits in with these handlers.

Every response that the logger sees has a response code
(response.getStatus()) of 200, even though the client is seeing a 404.
So I'm thinking that my handler is somehow installed incorrectly
alongside whatever CXF does.
Any clues?

Additionally, is the DefaultHandler needed or will CXF take care of 404s?

Thanks.

Jim

Re: Jetty handlers and CXF

Posted by Brent Verner <db...@netavail.com>.
Hi,

  Sounds exactly like a problem I had where a call to SecureRandom
was hanging (and causing the cxf handler to never be registered).

  Defining the following system property will cause SecureRandom
to read /dev/urandom instead of /dev/random (which doesn't always
have data available, causing the read to hang).

  -Djava.security.egd=file:///dev/urandom

If that fixes your problem, you can make the fix more permanent by
defining a system property in
${JAVA_HOME}/jre/lib/security/java.security:

  securerandom.source=file:///dev/urandom

  BTW, this happened to me on a netbsd system with jdk-6, openjdk7
and an openjdk6 that I built while trying to get to
the bottom of this...  What OS are you running?  Java version?

cheers!
  Brent

Re: Jetty handlers and CXF

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I think the DefaultHandler may be an issue.   I see some "special" code in
there for "instanceof DefaultHandler" so I'm curious what would happen if you
removed that.   :-)

Dan

On Mon September 28 2009 11:03:06 am Jim Talbut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Continuing with my Jetty servers inside Tomcat I've been trying to get
> request logging working on the Jetty side.
>
> I've got this in my beans.xml:
>      <httpj:engine-factory bus="cxf" id="jetty-factory">
>          <httpj:engine port="8009">
>              <httpj:tlsServerParametersRef id="secure" />
>              <httpj:threadingParameters minThreads="1" maxThreads="5"  />
>              <httpj:handlers>
>                  <bean class="org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RequestLogHandler"
>  > <property name="requestLog">
>                          <bean class="org.mortbay.jetty.NCSARequestLog">
>                              <property name="filename"
> value="/usr/share/apache-tomcat/logs/jetty-request.log.yyyy_mm_dd"/>
>                          </bean>
>                      </property>
>                  </bean>
>                  <bean class="org.mortbay.jetty.handler.DefaultHandler"/>
>              </httpj:handlers>
>          </httpj:engine>
>      </httpj:engine-factory>
>
> but I'm not clear on where CXF fits in with these handlers.
>
> Every response that the logger sees has a response code
> (response.getStatus()) of 200, even though the client is seeing a 404.
> So I'm thinking that my handler is somehow installed incorrectly
> alongside whatever CXF does.
> Any clues?
>
> Additionally, is the DefaultHandler needed or will CXF take care of 404s?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org