Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com> on 2010/08/30 23:12:26 UTC

Best practices for updates from trunk

I run a small enterprise and I doubt our needs are unusual.  We would
like to run trunk and stay (more or less) current.  We're running
postgresql as a backend.  I'm hoping to automate (as much as possible)
the update process.  I'm hoping to implement a few things not provided
in the standard demo setup.

1) I need to backup the database nightly, so that our daily work doesn't
get lost (doh!).  I can use pg_dump for that, but of course it backs up
the entire database, including seed, admin-user-login, and site-specific
data.  I could also use the webtools dump, which I assume does the exact
same thing but in XML, which is a good deal larger in file size.
However, webtools won't write an XML file for an empty table, while
pg_dump would write a structure definition for that table.  Probably
pg_dump would be a good deal faster.  Size and speed issues aside, it
seems that neither method differentiates in any way between seed and
non-seed data. Am I correct here?

2) To effectively use the webtools backup, I would need to automate it
from a cron job.  Is there an easy way to call ofbiz services from the
command line, or do I need to schedule a job within OFBiz to do this
kind of thing?  What are the pros and cons of a system cron job vs. a
scheduled job in OFBiz?

3) I need a log of what version I was running when.  For example, if I
update weekly, and on Sunday night I roll forward to the latest trunk
revision 970999, and it breaks something, I need to have a log that
tells me that Friday (when it worked) I was running 970888, so I can
roll back to that revision, until I get the kinks worked out with the
upgrade.  Otherwise I have to restore from a dated backup, which I can
always do, but it seems that a simple "svn checkout 970888; ./ant build"
might be cleaner.  I'm assuming that after updating the code with "svn
checkout" I can log the date/time to a file with the output of "svn
info".

4) If a revision requires a database update or modification, I would
like to know about it in advance, and make sure that manual modification
is completed before the upgrade.  I'm assuming what I need there should
always be found in:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBTECH/Revisions+Requiring
+Data+Migration

5) I would like to update all seed data in place (postgresql) without
overwriting the rest of the (non-seed) data.  Will executing "./ant
run-install-seed" overwrite the EXISTING seed data in a production
database without affecting the non-seed data?  Or it it only intended
for use on an empty database, as all the examples I have found do? If
the latter, how do you restore only the NON-seed data after a seed data
initialization?

Are there any other bear traps or best practices that I should be aware
of?  Or is this stuff documented somewhere that I have not found?  There
was a discussion of it (at least the seed vs. demo data issue) about a
year ago on this list, but I didn't see these specific questions
answered.

Or am I overly optimistic about the possibility of updating a production
system regularly as OFBiz trunk changes?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Best practices for updates from trunk

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.
Thanks David!

At the moment, we only have a few people (4-5 max) that really use the
system, and none of those really "full-time" like a dedicated data entry
person would.  So perhaps we can afford to be more lax, or expedite the
testing.  We certainly don't need the extensive testing cycle that would
be needed for enterprises with more riding on a "deployment".  An
"agile" model would probably work well for us for the time being-- the
question is how best to implement it.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like in-place seed data updates are
either impossible or problematic in practice, and are not recommended.

So perhaps we need to look at freezing the entity defs as you suggest,
then perhaps automating a diff on any entity definition changes to make
sure they are properly scrutinized (and manually implemented) before any
corresponding code update.

--
Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>
RidgeCrest Herbals, Inc.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Matt,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Fortunately we have now Selenium and Junit. We should be able to do better, but you are right, it's not a simple task and moreover
not very appealing for most of ordinary mortals

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.
I am still following, and have been surprised at what I started...
It *IS* great!  :-)

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that right away.  Thanks again.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Matt,

Not a big deal, but yes it's not a good practice and I was corrected many times at my own beginning, that why I remember it well :o)
Actually when it's a different subject, for the sake of clairity you should open a new thread by creating an entirely new message
and not responding to an existing one. Because these last one contains information in its header which will hook it on the thread it
belongs

Thanks to care

Jacques

From: "Matt Warnock" <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Carsten Schinzer" <c....@googlemail.com>

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.
Le 31/08/2010 12:31, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> Hi Erwan,
>
> Is there a Jira reporting this, with a patch?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jacques

Strangely, there is no jira... but here is the thread showing the
problem :
http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/Lucene-is-broken-td2123400.html#a2123871
I may have only reported the problem to the mailing list... And so,
there is no patch. Be that is one was existing I would have commited it !
Cheers,

--
Erwan de FERRIERES
www.nereide.biz

Re: Best practices for updates from trunk

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Erwan,

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
I agree with you Scott after it's really a vision problem. When I choose
a criteria level, I don't look to existant problems but the impact of a
bug for the community. If OFBiz contains several bugs for me, I use
production addon for my customer so as each bug is trivial  and after I
think to importance for the community.

Nicolas

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hey Scott, that's right!

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Jacques,

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I was reffering to this:

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
See my answer to davids email

=========================
BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Scott Gray sent the following on 8/30/2010 9:48 PM:

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.
Understood.  Just curious, as I say.  Thanks BJ!

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.