Posted to dev@kylin.apache.org by Sarnath <st...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/15 08:56:06 UTC

Kylin:- intermediate tables

Hi,
It seems from kylin source code that kylin always creates a new table
(effectively) duplicating original contents for cube creation. Is this so?
Can some1 confirm?
Best, Sarnath

Re: Kylin:- intermediate tables

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@gmail.com>.
This is Kylin's design, and I think we have benefited a lot from this:

1) Let Hive joins the tables, Kylin can focus on cubing;
2) The filter conditions can be easily applied in this step;
3) With this step the files are converted to an uniform file format
(sequence file so far), this eases Kylin's MR file parsing;
4) It makes using Hive View as fact table is possible; (View is abstract
table which doesn't have underlying files, and the data may come from
multiple tables; with this step we can shield that limitation;)

Posted by hongbin ma <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sarnath <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by hongbin ma <ma...@apache.org>.
yes