Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/16 17:19:26 UTC

Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Our project would contains some code (< 1%) that cannot be released
under the Apache License, so in our "dist" build target, we strip out
that portion of our codebase and produce a source distribution without
the offending code.

My question is: is this an OK practice, or does our subversion
repository need to contain only things that we are allowed to
distribute?  I'd prefer the former, because otherwise, we'll have to
have a sister-repository on something like Google Code, which just
complicates our build process a little.

We are currently voting on a release, and the answer to this question
is very relevant, so a prompt reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-T

Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
> "Apache friendly" is an imprecise term.  In particular, GPL 3 is a
> "disallowed license".  See:
>
>  http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Ah, yep I just saw your answer on the JIRA ticket as well.  Our bad.

> Given the above: is Pivot interested including the Flex BlazeDS demo,
> both in SVN and in their distribution, for Demo purposes only?  How
> does Pivot intend to identify and marked this software?

Nope, given the above, Pivot will remove the Flex BlazeDS demo (and
only that demo) from SVN and thus from the distribution as well.  It's
not a demo that's core to what Pivot's all about anyway.  Pivot is
fundamentally an RIA framework, and that's how we market ourselves.
The fact that it can hook into a BlazeDS back-end is ancillary.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Others may disagree, but before we go there: at this point, is this
>> suggestion moot, or does Pivot still have an interest in including the
>> demos in SVN?
>
> Actually Greg Brown did some digging and found that the demos in
> question were Apache friendly all along (the Google Talk demo was
> Apache 2, and the Flex BlazeDS demo was GPL 3), so we're moving the
> demos back to SVN for future releases.  The philosophy of the original
> question is still relevant, however, so your suggestion is not moot.

"Apache friendly" is an imprecise term.  In particular, GPL 3 is a
"disallowed license".  See:

  http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

>From past experience, I've learned to avoid discussing hypothetical
philosophical questions that aren't grounded by a real desire by a
real project to take a specific action.  But if you are inclined to
such a thing, take a look at the following, in particular
"Approximation 2":

  http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html

Given the above: is Pivot interested including the Flex BlazeDS demo,
both in SVN and in their distribution, for Demo purposes only?  How
does Pivot intend to identify and marked this software?

- Sam Ruby

Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Demo on how to use project A with Flex" is perfectly reasonable and I
> (depending on the license) would imagine us being fine with it as long
> as licensing was correctly obeyed. Anyone wanting to use project A
> with Flex is already happy with the license of Flex.

This thread has wandered off into a number of interesting (and perhaps
disappointing) directions.  Not seeing the above point reiterated, I
simply wanted to express my support for Henri's point and perhaps to
reemphasize it.

Legally, if we follow the terms of the applicable licenses, we can
distribute artifacts that are not compatible with the Apache License,
Version 2.0.

Now the question turns to policy.  If a project wishes to legally
distribute artifacts for demo purposes only, and the artifacts are
clearly and conspicuously marked, and we haven't made it perfectly
clear that they are free to do so in our "ASF Legal Previously Asked
Questions", the I suggest that we update our documentation.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Actually, "a few" makes it sound less significant than it is. We'll actually be migrating most of these demos back into the tutorials project over time.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Depends Bill.
>
> "Demo on how to use project A with Flex" is perfectly reasonable and I
> (depending on the license) would imagine us being fine with it as long
> as licensing was correctly obeyed. Anyone wanting to use project A
> with Flex is already happy with the license of Flex.
>
> "Demo on how to use project... and we'll stick Flex in because it's
> cool" - exactly as you said.
>
> It depends on the context of the demo imo. Integration demos are good
> - hiding licenses that cause the pain you mention above is bad.

I think Bill's main objection was that *all* demos were moved off ASF
infrastructure and making the project 'dual faced' and the ASF part
lacking demos.
Personally, I would like to see the complicated license issues be
moved away as a temporary solution, while building new demo depending
on ASF compatible licenses. Then it "just" becomes a matter of time
before the old off-site demos becomes obsolete.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Todd Volkert wrote:
>>> You can both have your way;
>>>
>>>  - AL code in /repos/asf/
>>>  - [L]GPL and even properly licensed proprietary code in /repos/private/
>>>   (accessible to all committers)
>>
>> Good to know for the future, but since we want this code to be easily
>> accessible for developers, we've migrated it off of ASF:
>> http://tinyurl.com/c8zrln.  Thanks everyone for your thoughtful input.
>
> Understanding that these are demos/examples, that's a substantially
> disappointing direction.  You pretty much ensure that the world can't
> really count on basing their code on the demos or examples without being
> locked into a copyleft schema (or questioning the providence of the code
> and again, being unable to use this).

Depends Bill.

"Demo on how to use project A with Flex" is perfectly reasonable and I
(depending on the license) would imagine us being fine with it as long
as licensing was correctly obeyed. Anyone wanting to use project A
with Flex is already happy with the license of Flex.

"Demo on how to use project... and we'll stick Flex in because it's
cool" - exactly as you said.

It depends on the context of the demo imo. Integration demos are good
- hiding licenses that cause the pain you mention above is bad.

Hen

Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Todd Volkert wrote:
>> You can both have your way;
>>
>>  - AL code in /repos/asf/
>>  - [L]GPL and even properly licensed proprietary code in /repos/private/
>>   (accessible to all committers)
>
> Good to know for the future, but since we want this code to be easily
> accessible for developers, we've migrated it off of ASF:
> http://tinyurl.com/c8zrln.  Thanks everyone for your thoughtful input.

Understanding that these are demos/examples, that's a substantially
disappointing direction.  You pretty much ensure that the world can't
really count on basing their code on the demos or examples without being
locked into a copyleft schema (or questioning the providence of the code
and again, being unable to use this).

So if the plan is to build upon these mixed-license demos at an external
location, I'd encourage the project to rethink the sense in that (and
perhaps bring in all IP-clear AL examples back to the project, abandoning
those with licensing or providence issues.)  This would ensure there are
a set of adoptable, modifiable demos for users to start with.

The solution to jfree makes perfect sense.

Bill

p.s. tinyurl links are really bad list etiquette, they ensure the eventual
uselessness of email history.  The above link, for future reference is;
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-pivot-dev/200904.mbox/%3C168ef9ac0904161457i3ae10e13r7cc530754683bb3@mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ....Our project would contains some code (< 1%) that cannot be released
> under the Apache License, so in our "dist" build target, we strip out
> that portion of our codebase and produce a source distribution without
> the offending code....

IANAL and I'm not sure what our documented policy is on this (assuming
we have one), but I don't like this, from a practical point of view.

It seems easy for something to go wrong later in the project,
resulting in that code being included in distributions and potentially
causing trouble.

I would much prefer hosting the non-compliant parts outside of ASF repositories.

-Bertrand

Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> El lun, 20-04-2009 a las 13:11 +1000, Aristedes Maniatis escribió:
>> On 19/04/2009, at 1:13 PM, Santiago Gala wrote:
>>
>> > My personal guess is that what is relevant here is to know if the
>> > legal
>> > concept of "publishing" depends not just on the fact of making
>> > documents
>> > available or there needs to be some sort of "intent" to publish
>>
>> Legally, intent is not important. Just ask the defendants/victims of
>> the RIAA's lawsuits in the USA. Their state of mind is not relevant.
>> I'm guessing a large number of people using bitTorrent aren't aware
>> that they are publishing anything.
>>
>> But it is important to recognise that this conversation doesn't appear
>> to be about legal issues. Rather it is about something else: how
>> Apache wishes to be perceived by the general public. We have seen one
>> project pull demos out of trunk of their repository, so their
>> interpretation seems to be:
>>
>> 1. non-Apache licensed things in official distributions: BAD.
>> 2. non-Apache licensed things in trunk of svn: BAD
>> 3. non-Apache licensed things in branches of svn: OK
>> 4. non-Apache licensed things in history of svn: OK
>>

> Agreed for 1. and 2. if you change "non-Apache licensed" with the
> compatibility categories.
>
> for 3. and 4., and after reading other answers, I guess the trigger is
> being able to do lawful distribution, even if our policies don't allow
> bundling. So, having a GPL or LGPL in places where there is no confusion
> with them being part of the release is probably kosher.
>
> 2. is a bit more fuzzy, as a full checkout would make "maybe
> unsuspecting" users incur some risks of mixing licenses.

My tuppence and rewording.

1. non-Apache compatible things in distribution: BAD.
2. non-Apache compatible in any branch of svn, be it trunk, tag or
branch: DISCUSS.
3. non-Apache licensed things in history of svn: RARE.

It's all use case specific - even in #1 there are situations where
we've allowed it. For example see resolved.html for the following:

#####
* Can Cobertura reports be included in Apache distributions?
* Can OSGi metadata be added to weak copyleft binaries - thus
modifying the binary jar file?
#####

The #2 case is where things usually get interesting and we debate.
It's only through these discussions that we start to get a good
feeling as to how we want to handle the grey areas. In the example in
this thread, I'd be very happy with a demo for legally distributable
but Apache-2.0 intrusive license X for a product, if the demo was
regarding integration with that product. Anyone using that demo is
already signed up to the product. I wouldn't be happy if the demo was
how to implement a feature in our project and we've snuck the Apache
2.0 intrusive license X into the demo.

I hold branches (or more specifically tags) to be more important than
trunk because tags continue as a long term point at which someone
would be checking out the source. Trunk and branches are moving
targets and no one expects stability. Tags are akin to a distribution
in that you should be able to go get the tag and rebuild the
distribution.

For 3, anyone taking a random point in time out of svn and trying to
use that from the source; and then complaining that the code back then
does not match our philosophies is not going to get much attention
paid to them. For one our philosophy is not set in stone but changes
as the foundation and external community evolve their views.

Hen

RE: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> The Pirate Bay court conviction last week makes it illegal to provide
> a link which may result in users not obeying Copyright and TradeMark
> law. The only difference between The Pirate Bay and Google, according
> to the court, is that there was intent. So, I challenge your assertion
> that intent is not legally important in these matters.

How about you are both right? :-)

Copyright infringement is a strict liability tort. Intent or state of mind
is not relevant.

Contributory infringement or inducing infringement requires proof of
knowledge and intent. State of mind is relevant. Proof of actual copyright
infringement by someone who was "induced" is also required.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242 * cell: 707-478-8932 * fax: 707-485-1243
Skype: LawrenceRosen

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/04/2009, Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>  > >
>  > > OK, my apologies. I thought we were talking about a legal copyright
>  > > issue rather than a philosophical distinction. I do believe this is
>  > > such a far reaching decision that there needs to be some clear
>  > > guidance to PMCs about:
>  > >
>  > > * what is allowed to remain in svn history (that is, files which are
>  > > not in the latest revision). This is relevant to how a project
>  > > preserves their history from being in the incubator to becoming a
>  > > full-fledged project
>  > > * what is allowed to remain in the current revision of branches (for
>  > > example branches which are not trunk and might not have been touched
>  > > for 2 years)
>  > > * how do people make a distinction between some types of non-Apache
>  > > licensed material and others (eg. LPGL demo and Adobe licensed
>  > > files). Something clearer than "semantics" will be needed since PMCs
>  > > will need to decide on a daily basis what is OK and what is not.
>  > > * what is the distinction between a maven pom which requires an LGPL
>  > > library to run a demo, and a Photoshop file which requires a closed
>  > > source application to open? That is, what are the rules for the PMC
>  > > to follow when deciding which is allowed and which is not.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Ari Maniatis
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > NB: I have a law degree, but my knowledge of USA law is sketchy, so
>  > > there will be others here with much better understanding of the
>  > > relevant legal issues. But I'm guessing we are talking about a moral
>  > > (?) standpoint on making a statement about what the Apache license
>  > > stands for and how it is perceived by the world, and legal issues
>  > > might not be relevant here.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Well, than you probably have more legal experience than most of us. My
>  > answers mostly come from having been on this list for years.
>  >
>  > As far as what is relevant and what is not, many of the answers are at http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
>  > . In my opinion you should avoid checking stuff into your public
>  > project repository that doesn't meet this.
>  >
>  > In my personal opinion (and that is all it is, not based on anything
>  > legal), I am not too concerned with things that are in svn history but
>  > aren't part of any tags and aren't included when I checkout from a
>  > branch - including trunk.
>  >

> My personal guess is that what is relevant here is to know if the legal
>  concept of "publishing" depends not just on the fact of making documents
>  available or there needs to be some sort of "intent" to publish

As regards intent, the links to SVN are usually made easy to find,
often no more difficult than finding download links. This suggests
that there is intent to publish.

>  So, there is probably a gradation between:
>  - something that gets sent to a list by mistake, and remains archived in
>  spite of later expression of error in submission
>  - something committed and later explicitly deleted from trunk and/or
>  tags, but remaining through history
>  - something available in trunk and tags, but that gets stripped from
>  "release tarballs" [1]
>  - something in the release tarballs

Seems to me that there is very little - if any - difference between
the last two cases, given that SVN links are freely published.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au> wrote:

> On 17/04/2009, at 2:06 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> I am under the impression that only code that is licensable under the
>> Apache License can reside in our subversion repository.
>
> This will be a real problem for other projects. For example, what about
> Photoshop files which are kept as the layered source material? The images
> end up in the product as png and Apache licensed. But although the creative
> input to create those Photoshop files might be Apache licensed, certainly
> the files cannot be described that way since they contain proprietary Adobe
> bits. But it would be absurd not to put that sort of source material into
> the repository for developers to easily use, update and reference.

I don't think this is a valid comparison. The Adobe bits of a
Photoshop file are syntax, not semantics, which is what is being
discussed. If a particular Photoshop file contained imagery that's not
compliant with ASF legal requirements, then the file should probably
be removed.

-Nathan

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
The jars were already included.  Per the conventions of the incubator,
existing projects dump their existing SVN repository into ASF's when
they can, meaning you get the old history of the projct.  But those
were added before we were an ASF project.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Craig Russell wrote:
> 3. IIRC, the last time we at legal discussed this issue, we came to no
> conclusion whether SVN was considered a distribution simply because
> someone could check out the code from our working repository. Some
> argued that since the code is available from our repository without
> restriction (no click-through license or disclaimer), then by
> definition it's a distribution. Others argue that Apache makes a huge
> deal of the process of releasing code, producing source and binary
> DISTRIBUTIONs (emphasis is MINE), and voting; and so the artifacts
> that are distributed and mirrored worldwide are our distributions, not
> the SVN artifacts.

I don't remember participating in that discussion, so forgive me if I
misinterpret this question or say silly things that you've already decided.

Companies deal with this problem every day. When a US company works with an
Indian contractor on some project, copying of tools or other software
between the two of them is probably a distribution (local law applies). That
requires a license. So, too, it is a distribution when ASF members copy and
share code among themselves. They each work for different companies and are
not employees of ASF. The licenses for those shared tools must permit that
copying and distribution.

The product jointly developed by them also is, to use Craig's emphasis, a
DISTRIBUTION. For ASF DISTRIBUTIONs, they need to be under the Apache
License. The reason we don't DISTRIBUTE those non-Apache works to our
customers is not because we can't, but because we won't.

However, referring now just to our shared tools, can't they include GPL
works or even proprietary works? Why couldn't we put a shared Linux
distribution in our working repository, or even a version of Windows that
Microsoft licenses for a shared development environment? We shouldn't mind
distributing those tools to each other under the terms of those licenses for
development purposes, as long as we don't DISTRIBUTE them to our customers,
and as long as they don't affect the Apache License terms for our own
DISTRIBUTIONs.

/Larry

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Three points:

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
>> * The gdata demo and associated jars
>> * The flex data services demo and associated jars
>>
>> IIRC, both these had non-Apache friendly licenses, so we exclude them
>> both from the releases, but we still run the live demos on the Wiki.
>
> What are the licenses? Especially if they are not-friendly then I'd
> expect to see it spelt out in SVN or not there.

GData looks like it's Apache 2.  Flex looks like it's proprietary.
Rather than fragment our demos into compliant here and non-compliant
there, I opted for all demos being migrated off of ASF, simply because
we want to encourage contributing developers to contribute demos
freely and not have to worry about possible licensing issues when
doing so.  And this way, users wishing to see the source of the demos
can look in one place.

Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
>> * The gdata demo and associated jars
>> * The flex data services demo and associated jars
>>
>> IIRC, both these had non-Apache friendly licenses, so we exclude them
>> both from the releases, but we still run the live demos on the Wiki.
>
>What are the licenses? Especially if they are not-friendly then I'd
>expect to see it spelt out in SVN or not there.

I'm actually not sure we ever even looked into these licenses since we knew were never going to include them in the distribution.

Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's the following:
>
> * The groovy scripting engine jars to run the scripting demo

Groovy is BSD/Apache licensed.

>  The demo builds without these but does not run without these.  So we
> push them out to the Wiki to run our live demo, but we don't release
> them.
>
> * The gdata demo and associated jars
> * The flex data services demo and associated jars
>
> IIRC, both these had non-Apache friendly licenses, so we exclude them
> both from the releases, but we still run the live demos on the Wiki.

What are the licenses? Especially if they are not-friendly then I'd
expect to see it spelt out in SVN or not there.

> * The JFree charts provider and associated jars
>
> JFree is licensed under LGPL, so we cannot build anything that depends
> on them.  As such, we architected our charts API to be service-based,
> and the JFree provider is just one such service provider.  But we
> release the JFree provider through Google Code.  We just build it from
> within the ASF repository.
>
> For all of the above, note that we are actively moving them off of the
> ASF repository just to cover all bases (see
> http://code.google.com/p/pivot-demos/).  The issue at hand now is
> two-fold:

+1 :) Especially for jfree anyway.

> 1) Pressing -- can we release 1.1 if it is based on a tag that
> contains these things in SVN?

Delete them from the tag before building so that all we're talking
about is something on trunk.

> 2) Academic -- is it OK to keep such things in SVN if you never "release" them?

Will depend on license. The LGPL JFreeChart example... sounds feasible
to me but I'd want to see some good separation in SVN from the other
source and noting of the license.

Hen

Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
It's the following:

[...]

Thanks,
-T

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
For the latter... the instructions are for the user to get the jars themselves?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.