Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/24 13:48:59 UTC

[Axis2] Dispatchers in org.apache.axis2.engine package

Team,

Anyone object to moving the following classes to org.apache.axis2.dispatchers?

AddressingBasedDispatcher.java
HTTPLocationBasedDispatcher.java
InstanceDispatcher.java
RequestURIBasedDispatcher.java
RequestURIOperationDispatcher.java
SOAPActionBasedDispatcher.java
SOAPMessageBodyBasedDispatcher.java

Leaving AbstractDispatcher.java as-is in org.apache.axis2.engine

thanks,
dims

Re: [Axis2] Dispatchers in org.apache.axis2.engine package

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Guess, i am trying to get the public API "right"...Right now there are
some *Dispatcher classes in org.apache.axis2.dispatchers and some
*Dispatchers in org.apache.axis2.engine.

-- dims

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Also, aren't the package names of dispatchers sort of a "public API" bit
of Axis2?? If so I'm against this unless there's something to be gained by it.

Sanjiva.

Eran Chinthaka wrote:

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [Axis2] Dispatchers in org.apache.axis2.engine package

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Re: [Axis2] Dispatchers in org.apache.axis2.engine package

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
> So, IMO, lets move them, lets get the API/SPI right if we can (while
> maintaining backwards compatibility).

+1 to this, and to the "move, extend, and deprecate" pattern that's
being discussed.

--Glen

Re: [Axis2] Dispatchers in org.apache.axis2.engine package

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
Aaaargh.
Sorry, this is all my fault. I was trying to do the *right thing* and
have them in .engine but I keep on getting distracted. I think in
.dispatchers is the right place - I've always said I don't think any
user should have to look in the .engine package.

If we do move the dispatchers, my plan had been to leave shells in
.engine so that erxisting axis2.xmls would function (with the shalls
marked for removal in 1.4), document the move, and provide an xslt
transform to 'upgrade' the config files.To be truthful, it's doing the
last bit that's delayed me.

So, IMO, lets move them, lets get the API/SPI right if we can (while
maintaining backwards compatibility).

David

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Hehe, that's what i am doing right now :)

-- dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Please review the changes i made today. FYI, here's a quick html where
you can view all the commits (a week's worth).

http://ws.zones.apache.org/~dims/axis2/

thanks,
dims

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Nicholas L Gallardo wrote:
> [...]
>  >> >
>  >> > thanks,
>  >> > dims
>  >> >
>  >> > --
>  >> > Davanum Srinivas :: http://davanum.wordpress.com
>  >> >
>  >> >
>  >> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>  >> > For additional commands, e-mail: axis-dev-help@ws.apache.org
>  >> >
>  >> >
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> --
>  >> Thanks
>  >> Afkham Azeez
>  >>
>  >> http://www.wso2.org
>  >> GPG Fingerprint: 643F C2AF EB78 F886 40C9  B2A2 4AE2 C887 665E 0760

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [Axis2] Dispatchers in org.apache.axis2.engine package

Posted by Nicholas L Gallardo <nl...@us.ibm.com>.

Chintaka,

+1

That's exactly what I was thinking as well...

-Nick

             Eran Chinthaka
             <chinthaka@openso
             urce.lk>                                                   To
                                       axis-dev@ws.apache.org
             06/25/2007 10:44                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Axis2] Dispatchers in
             Please respond to         org.apache.axis2.engine package
             axis-dev@ws.apach
                   e.org

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Nicholas L Gallardo <nl...@us.ibm.com>.

+1  That sounds like the best solution here.  I agree with David's comment
that user's shouldn't be accessing anything inside of the .engine package
either.  If it's part of an official API, move it to other package.

Dims, what about adding something that issues a deprecation warning when
the dispatcher loaded contains the "org.apache.axis2.engine" package.
Depending on how long the internal is between 1.4 and 1.3, you could then
remove it in the next release or wait one more depending on how long you
wanted to support it.

Regards,

-Nick

             "Davanum
             Srinivas"
             <davanum@gmail.co                                          To
             m>                        "Afkham Azeez" <af...@gmail.com>
                                                                        cc
             06/25/2007 09:29          axis-dev@ws.apache.org

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
I am not in favor of this change. This is going to annoy a large number of
users who may want to migrate from Axis2 1.2 to 1.3. They will have to edit
all of their axis2.xml files. They may go thorugh a lot of pain to figure
out that the package has to be changed in their axis2.xml files. The last
thing we need at the moment is unhappy users. This is a mistake we may have
to live with.

-- Azeez

On 6/24/07, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Team,
>
> Anyone object to moving the following classes to
> org.apache.axis2.dispatchers?
>
> AddressingBasedDispatcher.java
> HTTPLocationBasedDispatcher.java
> InstanceDispatcher.java
> RequestURIBasedDispatcher.java
> RequestURIOperationDispatcher.java
> SOAPActionBasedDispatcher.java
> SOAPMessageBodyBasedDispatcher.java
>
> Leaving AbstractDispatcher.java as-is in org.apache.axis2.engine
>
> thanks,
> dims

Thanks
Afkham Azeez