Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Wil Doane <wd...@hawaii.edu> on 2002/02/28 01:31:21 UTC

4.0.1 v 4.0.2 JSTL error?

I have several confirmations of this error on-site here, but I
haven't found any reports of it in searching the maillist archives.

In testing a simple MVC version of a stack class, The classes and
JSPs work properly under Tomcat 4.0.1, but fail (reproducibly) under
Tomcat 4.0.2. This has now been tested and confirmed on multiple
platforms (Win2000, Mac OS X) on multiple machines.

The problem appears to be in the JSTL resolution.

The sample 788KB WAR file is available at
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~wdoane/stackmvc.war

Working from a simple, basic install of both Tomcat 4.0.1 and 4.0.2,
changing nothing other than the CATALINA_HOME environment variable
(to point to one or the other) produces the following effect:

In 4.0.1:
   The stackmvc.war unpacks, compiles, and functions properly.

In 4.0.2:
   The stackmvc.war unpacks, DOES NOT compile the welcome.jsp, and fails.

The compile failure appears to be caused by taglib code in the
included Header.jsp file, namely:

<%@ taglib prefix="c"   uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/ea/core" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="req" uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/request-1.0"  %>

The error message generated is a 500 internal server configuration error:

org.apache.jasper.compiler.CompileException: /welcome.jsp(0,0) This absolute
uri (http://java.sun.com/jstl/ea/core) cannot be resolved in either web.xml
or the jar files deployed with this application at

org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener.handleDirective(JspParseEve
	 ntListener.java:787) at

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DelegatingListener.handleDirective(DelegatingList
	 ener.java:121) at
	 org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser$Directive.accept(Parser.java:255) at
	 org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1145)
	 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:1103)

... and so on.

Switching CATALINA_HOME back to the 4.0.1 install and restarting
Tomcat, the code once again compiles and functions properly.

Any thoughts, insight, or inspiration are appreciated.

-Wil

--

William E. J. Doane                                   wdoane@hawaii.edu
Department of Information & Computer Science

"If you don't respect others, you're not doing it right. I try always
  to let my great respect show through for people who try hard to do
  the right thing. And sure enough, they do try, in almost every case.
  The others, who are perhaps trying in some way I don't understand...
  I Respect them too... and wish them success elsewhere."
                                               - Ron Jeffries on XP

Re: 4.0.1 v 4.0.2 JSTL error?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> This sounds like a bug that was reported on 4.0.2 that has subsequently
> been fixed (and will therefore be fixed in 4.0.3), where Tomcat was not
> correctly scanning for TLDs included inside a JAR file (which is something
> that the JSP spec allows).
>
> As a workaround, you could try extracting the TLD out of the JSTL jar file
> and placing it in your /WEB-INF subdirectory.

There's a simpler workaround if the failure is caused by this problem:
create a directory named 'temp' in your CATALINA_HOME folder.

Remy

Re: 4.0.1 v 4.0.2 JSTL error?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
This sounds like a bug that was reported on 4.0.2 that has subsequently
been fixed (and will therefore be fixed in 4.0.3), where Tomcat was not
correctly scanning for TLDs included inside a JAR file (which is something
that the JSP spec allows).

As a workaround, you could try extracting the TLD out of the JSTL jar file
and placing it in your /WEB-INF subdirectory.

Craig